Saturday, December 09, 2017

Snow in Mexico - lots of it

I have not posted since the one about the furniture for sale as my desktop computer bit the dust on a Saturday night a week ago.  Aaargh.  The computer guy took it to see what he could save and called
once to say it is a "mess" and then no other words.  I'm not optimistic.  

I'm now writing on the laptop which I cannot type fast on, so this IS a labor of love and aggravation.

The excitement around here is the cold, the amount of snow just two hours north of here and the
fact that as I write this, the highway 57 from Laredo to San Miguel is shut down!  Of course, I have
friends supposedly arriving tomorrow who are driving.  I'm so hoping that my email to them reaches them before they attempt to cross the border.

The photos that I have seen show eighteen wheelers backed up for as far as the eye can see!  Yikes.

And, just in case you want to know, YES, it is as cold as "a rat's ass in Alaska" here.  Twenty-six on the downstairs thermometer this morning at 8:30AM!  Brrr.  Sixty-one F. inside the house.  YES, my nose and hands are cold.

But, the solution is to go outside and sit in the sun to thaw.  I'm going to do that in just a minute or two.  Just thought you would want to know how things south of the border are fairing.

One word - COLD!

11 comments:

Barbara Lane said...

I love that there's a definite change of seasons here. Love that nights are cold at Christmas time, yet days are still gloriously beautiful. I am thankful for an opportunity to wear sweaters, scarves, to "bundle up" and enjoy the bracing night or morning air. Gracias a Dios for ALL of it! Glory Be, it IS San Miguel after all, and we are blessed mightily.

Croft said...

Our friends Brian and Sue spent last night stranded in their motorhome at the side of the road north of Monterrey. No worries, they have gas, propane, food, blankets, rum....

Babs said...

Barbara Lane, there are those who like cold weather and then there is me, ha. I HATE every second of it and dread it all year long. That is why I leave in January and February..........Born in Chicago, I and my family were smart enough (IMHO) to leave
when I was 10 and lived blissfully in the South until I moved here. I remember the first winter here and saying to myself, "OH MY GOD, you have made a terrible mistake!" but I've now bought winter clothes for November and December and then leave. I also have all kinds of warming equipment in the house now. Yes, thankfully we do have sunshine and we do have SMA to be grateful for........

Croft, that is a nightmare! Mexico News Daily online newspaper showed photos of the EIGHT states affected greatly by the storm. Hwy 57 IS shut down among others. They are listed in the article. It is as far south as the State of Hidalgo! WOW.

Peter Kouwenhoven said...

Soon you'll be on the coast! This weather is crazy.

colm54 said...

If you attach the keyboard from your desktop computer to your laptop via its USB cable you can type away as usual in your flamboyant way with aplomb, you can also use the laptop keyboard if needed

Babs said...

Aplomb? Wow! Thanks for the info, who knew?



Peter, I'm counting the days........

Scott said...

And there was snow in Big Bend and some of the Western areas of Tejas just a few days ago.

Babs said...

I saw photos of Wimberley and other places in the Hill country. AND Austin!

Glad I was not on the roads, anywhere........

Cathie said...

Hi. I don’t know if I commented on your blog but I always read. I want to thank you for continuing your blog. It was one of the first I found on San Miguel and in 2018 we hope to be residents in San Miguel.
Thanks Cathie

Babs said...

Thanks Cathie for writing. DO let me know when you're here. It would be fun to meet up for coffee or just to sit in the jardin and meet.

Diego Garcia Music said...

Hi tthanks for posting this