Saturday, December 05, 2015

Peace from San Miguel de Allende, Mexico

I can always tell when something bad has happened in the USA based on the hits on the blog as it relates to
living in Mexico.  This week has been no exception.  Actually even more hits on certain blog posts from 2011 and 2013!

Almost every day there are readers on the blog post written on October 13, 2013, "Driving to Mexico".
This week it has also included ones I wrote on Medical care in Mexico and Cost of Living.

The horrible events in the last month in Paris, Colorado Springs and now San Bernadino California have taken their toll on the psyche of many people in the USA.

I can totally understand.
As a gesture of caring, I send you this photo of peace from the jardin of San Miguel.  Hopefully this image
will bring some solace to your soul.

On another note, I have not written in about a week.  I've traveled, vertically, about 1000 miles - up and down stairs from one house to the other.  I'm settled in the guest house and have been doing a few things to spiff it up for the next person.  It was amazing how much stuff I needed to move over here to live for a month since there are holidays, kids, and other stuff to do before I leave!

I had no idea, no one ever said anything, that weather stripping was needed on lots of windows and doors here in the guest house.  In addition, I've rehung some art, moved furniture around  and put light bulbs in, all over the place!  No one but me will ever notice these things, but I know.  In addition, I've tried twice to get a small can of a special color of paint and the two times I've gone to Comex they said no they couldn't do it, so I need to find somewhere that will make a quart of a special color for me.  Ahh, the joys of Mexico.

Next weekend, I'll be in the throes of hopefully baking with Matilda and Sebastian and decorating John's house for the holidays.  Nada for me this year, thankfully.  Ha, I sound like the Grinch Who Stole Christmas!
But, I'm leaving right after Christmas and have no need for decorations at my house.  This is all about Matilda and Sebastian......

That's it from South of the Border where our 80+ daily high has disappeared to be replaced by high 60's yesterday.  It is definitely the impetus to get me out of town and headed for the beach as soon as I possibly
can go!

PEACE my friends.

10 comments:

Joan said...

The photo did help, it's a good one. I think everyone is just
worn out sad from all this and at this time of the year, too.
Thank you.

Babs said...

Thank you Joan for your poignant comment. I so agree.......I've gotten where I don't even want to turn the TV on and when I do its to some insignificant thing like planting gardens or something simple and non-violent! Peace.

Retired Teacher said...

This is probably the most depressing holiday season ever. Even though I rarely turn on the TV, it is impossible to escape the lunacy and hatred that seems to be occurring everywhere. As horrendous as recent events have been, for me they have been overshadowed by the fact that one of my dearest friends is gravely ill and not expected to make it to Christmas.

But we must go on with our lives and savor every bit of happiness and beauty. I have a couple short trips planned in the upcoming weeks to celebrate the season with friends and family, and I look forward to another trip to Mexico in January.

I hope you enjoy every moment with your family during the Christmas season, and that we can all recapture some of the joy of this time of year.
¡Paz!

Steve Cotton said...

I never even noticed the lack of weather-stripping.

Babs said...

Bill, indeed, we must enjoy every precious moment that we have and savor beauty and happiness.
Yesterday, I sat up on the roof terrace, in the sun and relished the warmth and beauty of the canyon. It's moments like that that I treasure. Even though I awaken in the night trying to solve the current issues of the USA, I will bask in the beauty of the canyon or wherever I am, always.

Babs said...

Steve, that is because you love cold weather! Ha. Are you back in Barra?
Hope so..........

Anonymous said...

Hola Barbara!

Did you see Stew & Al's post about how the tables are turned now? They're asking how people could possibly feel safe in the USA. And I have to say, despite the dangers from narco-criminals, I simply do not worry about terrorism in Mexico. Though, truth be told, I don't worry much about it here either. Lost in all of the hyperbole is the fact that ordinary gun violence kills about 30,000 Americans yearly, year in and year out. And it's so common that it's barely reported in the media. The odds that any one of us will be a victim of terrorism is so small as to not be worth worrying about.

And oddly, the things people should be worried about -- all those guns, drunk drivers, other car accidents, drug-resistant bacteria -- don't seem to merit a flicker of worry.

So thank you for the message of peace. But it comes from within, so we all need to think about that.

Saludos,

Kim G
Boston, MA
Where we take lots of reasonable precautions and then don't worry.

Babs said...

No, I haven't seen Al's post. I'll look for it in a minute.

I'm simply amazed on a daily basis, given all the crazy things and chances I've taken all my life that I am still alive. I truly shake my head in amazement.

I don't worry about being killed by a gun or anything like that. I'm more concerned about falling down a flight of stairs or falling in the shower. Both more likely then something bad befalling me in public.

Crime is relatively non-existent in Mexico if you're not a narco. But, to tell you the truth, I didn't worry either in the USA!

AND, for that reason, I think, I've had an amazing life...........so far! In fact, I'm off to drive to the beach, hoping I have a place to stay when I get there. IF I don't, something will work out. Life is about having an adventure, isn't it?

Anonymous said...

I admire your adventure. And thank you for sharing it with us. Saludos!

Babs said...

Kim, it is always my pleasure.........thanks for your comment.