Saturday, September 10, 2011

Amigos Gustoso Gathering

 

 

 

 

 

 



The photos posted on this blog are from a culinary dinner group that I participate in. We had an amazing dinner the other night on the theme of Mediterrenean. The food, the home and the people all enhanced this experience.

The menu was planned by the hostess. It was held in their newly completed home out in the country. What a magnificent casa. Having lived in the Middle East for many years, they built the house in the architecture of Morocco and other countries in that region. Any adjective I could use to describe the home would be lacking. The attention to detail from the marquetry on the kitchen cabinets and other pieces of millwork to the use of cantera in new ways was a delight.

We started with appetizers in a courtyard much larger then my whole house. I love that concept. Interior living with lush gardens and pools to view.

Dinner was just one delightful feast for the palate after another. The three photos I took were the basil cheese roulade, the buffet of food and then the poached pears in marsala reduction. Delicious!

Now to the interesting part. How I got in this group is beyond me. Yes, I once was a member of the Houston Culinary Guild. And yes that whole group were dear, dear friends and business associates of mine. And yes, I once was President of Roundtable for Women in Foodservice, a national organization. BUT none of this was because of my culinary talent. Trust me. I'm a "mom cook". You know, one of those women who their kids say "Mom, please fix meatloaf and macaroni and cheese; please fix homemade lasagna; please, please fried chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy with apple pie". I certainly don't think of myself as a "fancy" cook.........

Now I'm close to a panic mode about when it is time for me to plan the menu. For me to have everyone to my little casa. But, I'll think of something. I think I have til February or March to come up with ideas - maybe a theme of Southern fare or Texas BBQ..........who knows! Guess I'll have to get out my River Road recipe book from Baton Rouge or my Soul Food cookbook from New Orleans or some of those that my great friend, Ann Criswell, former food editor for the Houston Chronicle wrote. I'll think of something. Stay tuned!

In the meantime, I'm tasting all kinds of unique fusions of flavors and being impressed with the talents of the partipants. Not to mention the beauty of their lovely homes. Oh, and the scintillating conversations. I can't even begin to divulge the myriad topics discussed the other evening - you wouldn't believe me!

Life is good.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

picklesandroses.blogspot.com said...

Wow! What a treat and what fun! Okay, Martha Stewart, you have a couple of months to get it together. Looking forward to your visit...we will talk food.

Bob Mrotek said...

Barb,
You should make a great big pot of menudo. When it's done right it is fantastic. Let me know if you need help!