Tuesday, May 18, 2010

A Basket Case

 


I had so much fun while in West Virginia. I created wall baskets of different flowers and lined all of them with spanghum moss for the birds. The bees, butterflies and hummingbirds loved the flowers but the birds also would swoop down and take pieces of the moss for their new spring nests.

It was a wonderland of wildlife that could be watched out of the floor to ceiling windows of the house. A few months prior we had watched the deer dashing through the snow and chomping on the lower branches of any tree with anything green to eat.

The baskets were fun to make. One that I made is full of herbs. It will be fun as spring progresses to snip off basil or mint or any of the five herbs that are in that one basket. Instead of attaching the baskets to the wall, I attached them to the railings of the deck which is elevated to avoid confrontations with the deer or waylaid golfers......the second tee is within yards of the deck.

In fact I so enjoyed creating those little things of beauty that I came back to San Miguel, took one look at the baskets on the roof terrace and shook my head. Before I can replant, I need to buy some coco liners in the USA and bring them back. I'll then make an herb wall basket for this house. Along with a few baskets of flowers too.

Just another miniature aspect of gardening that brings GREAT pleasure
Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

Steve Cotton said...

I am interested in how your herb basket project turns out. I want to do something similar in Melaque.

jennifer rose said...

There's no need to bring those coco liners all the way from the U.S. They're readily available in Patzcuaro at the stores located inside El Naranjo.

Babs said...

Sadly I'm NOT in Patzcauro and AM driving to Texas next week for a few weeks - so they're on the list. I figured there had to be somewhere in Mexico, but, I've not found them in San Miguel......

One Small Voz said...

Coco liners can be found here in Veracruz, but my battle is against the brutal sun & heat here. My chiles are doing great but the tomatoes require more vigilance. Goal is to get a rooftop garden going next year!

picklesandroses.blogspot.com said...

Wow...take me with you to build the basket. I want one. We can go to Maas's...I'm sure he has the liners and I could get herbs there as well. Andale, senora, andale.

Babs said...

I'm sure those liners are made in Mexico - remembering all the coconut trees I saw on the way to the beach.
Kay, is Garden Ridge still on the Gulf Fwy in Webster? That and Lowe's are usually where I find the liners.......You'll have to come back to Mexico with me to "make the baskets".