Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Quinta Quetzalcoatl, Lake Chapala, Mx

Passing through the exquisitely carved doors into The Inn of the Plumed Serpent, I was enchanted at the beauty. I felt as though I had just passed into the Garden of Eden, truly. Everywhere my eye traveled was another vista of flowers, water features, and a large palapa where breakfast would be served the next day. Sheer beauty everywhere. We were greeted by Aussie owners, Rob and Lorri Cracknell, who have owned the property for five years. They come from Melbourne and were so gracious.
As we arrived, Rob told me that the Inn had been D.H. Lawrence's home and the photos above are the part of the living quarters where the Plumed Serpent was written. To me it has an English flavor. And Lawrence hailed from England. There are many, many beautiful old homes on the main street. The Braniff's of Braniff Airlines fame, had a summer home here in early part of the 20th century. Who knew?
Here are a couple of the many, many photos that I took of the gardens. They were so extensive that I was never sure if I would find the door to the outside world.........and I wasn't sure if I even cared! Some of the plant material I have never seen anywhere before such as the little purple/blue flowers in pots cascading up the stairs. Me, an avid gardener was overwhelmed.
My room, "Birds Beast and Flowers" was on the second floor and had a very large patio. Due to the prolific plants, most of which were very old, I was totally secluded. Loved the feeling of being surrounded by flowers. Each room is totally different. My friends, Ron and Fred were in the Royal Palms Suite which was unique also. All this beauty, good food and great accomodations for only $75US a night!
Here's the email address and website: qqinnchapala@yahoo.com or http://www.accommodationslakechapala.com/ Go visit Rob and Lorri for a total escape..........and tell them Babs sent you.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: