Saturday, September 13, 2008

YIKES IKE!

I left Houston and living at one point on Clear Lake in order NOT to go through another hurricane. BUT, after the last few days I feel like I HAVE gone through another one. Checking on family, checking on friends, eyes glued to the Weather Channel (and any other station giving information) and today following up on my friend in the high rise and family north of Houston and elsewhere. Geez, I'm stressed. Little sleep last night as I watched and listened to the latest report.

My dear friends, Vandy and Sue are here from Galveston The three of us went out to dinner last night to hear Doc Severinsen play at Bella Italia and to get our minds off the storm. We were all subdued. Midway through the meal I said, "I feel like I'm dining on the Titanic waiting for the ship to go down!" With that we paid the bill, came home, and watched for any little idea of how and where our friends and family live was being affected.

Lots of memories have flooded back from when the kids and I, in 1983, went through Hurricane Alicia on August 18, 1983. NO we didn't stay but what we returned to was a lot of devastation.
I've mentioned before, I think, that the sound of a chain saw reminds me of all the trees and limbs that had to be cut down for weeks and weeks.

It appears, at this early stage, that Ike didn't bring the storm surge and the tornadoes that were feared. That's a good thing. My heart goes out to those who will go home to devastation.

So, I now realize that even though I'll never "live through" another hurricane in person, I DO live through them vicariously.

6 comments:

Frankly Ronda said...

My husband's family is in Houston. We just heard from them. No water. No electricity. All safe. I can not even imagine what it must be like ...

Islagringo said...

Consider yourself lucky that you didn't have to live through it...or any other one for that matter. We have friends who live right on the water in Galveston. Not a word from them. Scary stuff right now.

Brenda Maas said...

Hope all your family and friends are fine.

Islaholic Trixie said...

I use to have, what Biggy B calls Morbid, the urge to go through a hurricane. I have since changed my mind!!
The devastation from Ike, even as far North as Illinois and Ohio, is heartbreaking.

Cynthia said...

You have a kind heart. That last paragraph was so nice. I'm home in Clear Lake City, with power and a dry house, feeling so grateful. So many lost so much. Nassau Bay was hit hard.

Babs said...

Well, I apologize to all for not having responded but I've been so busy trying to help friends in Texas..........
It's a mess!
I'll get back to blogging in a day or two.....