Saturday, June 14, 2008

Tim Russert

I can't get him out of my mind! I loved his Irish happiness - his sense of fairness, honesty and pride in his country. I LOVED his quick wit and intelligence. He always made me sit up and take notice because while he was giving numbers or statistics - he was also giving what we called in high school "Government classes". He was "one in a million".
When someone dies suddenly like Tim did I ALWAYS think, "Wow, if he had known this was his LAST day, would he have done anything differently?" " Wow, if he had known two months ago, what would he have done? That's the millon dollar question, isn't it? My heart goes out to his wife and son...........sudden deaths are surreal. You NEVER really accept that they are gone..........
So another "one in a million" has gone to the happy hunting ground - he's gone to where Molly Ivins, Ann Richards, Barbara Jordan, John Kennedy and his brother Bobby are.......THEY all sure could set up a grand "Meet the Press" wherever that might be!
Adios Tim............vaya con dios, and I'm sure you have.

4 comments:

Steve Cotton said...

The unpredictability of life -- its very fragility -- should be a reminder to all of us that putting off what we need and want to do is a sucker's game. What we do not do in the moment may never occur. Last week, a political opponent and good friend died. Like Tim Russert, he was 58. My brother, who is 57, had a heart incident this week. I had something similar a couple of months ago. If these are not all omens that it is time to retire, I do not know what they are.

Babs said...

Yes Steve - LIVE IN THE MOMENT - has always been my mantra! My husgand died at 36 when I was 36 and my daughter died at 42.....you sure don't have to be old to die!
Seize the moment and GET out of the rat race. Living a STRESS Free life will see you playing golf or tennis in your 90's, which is truly NOT unusual in San Miguel!

jennifer rose said...

Hey, don't go sending Tim Russert off with all those liberals! He's hanging with Barry Goldwater, Nelson Rockefeller, Ronald Reagan, Gerald Ford, Spiro Agnew, John Tower, Bill Rehnquist and the rest of the thinking crowd. He was a class act who didn't let his own bias get in the way, and he will be missed.

Babs said...

Well Jennifer, he DID listen to all! Spiro Agnew, now THERE's a name I haven't thoought of in eons!