Friday, March 21, 2008

NEVER a dull moment!

I'm back "on line"! It's Good Friday and the technician came today and was here about an hour - oh whOOee, he was so cute, it's a good thing he couldn't speak English, cause I might have asked him to stay a week - JUST KIDDING - I think.........I had no idea how much I use this computer til I didn't have it for 3 days......wow! Had "extra" time to do other things..........SOOOOOOOO, I decided to go see the crucifixion in Montes de Loreto this morning. The newspaper article said that it was in an area where no Norte Americanos go so, naturally, I decided I wanted to see it - plus my friends Ron and Fred live over that way...........The newspaper also said it was a realistic depiction of the crucifixion.........I FAILED to get that hint! Since most of the streets in San Miguel were closed for neighborhood processions and the big procession in centro I had to drive all the way around the town on the by-pass. What would normally be a 10 minute trip was a half hour.................
Well, I'm here to tell you it was a REALISTIC CRUCIFIXION! The Roman soldiers on horseback in their red velvet tunics were whipping the three penitents carrying the crosses - not lightweight at all - and whipping them on their bare flesh! The men were bleeding - as if that wasn't bad enough, they then TIED them to crosses and hung them on this hillside. The men were wailing and screaming (I'm hoping that was acting) but it upset me so bad that I had to leave..........truly! It was very, very upsetting. There were about 300 Mexican families standing there but I couldn't take it. I, like you, have seen movies about this all my life. I was raised Catholic so I've been down the road of stories and sermons and the whole shebang all my life - but, this was very very different.
I'm home now.......it is muy tranquila aqui and I think I've had all the realism I need for this weekend. HAPPY EASTER!

3 comments:

Steve Cotton said...

And a happy Easter to you, as well. It sounds as if you started the weekend with a very realistic dose of Mexico's celebration of the season. I am certain our Sunday school kids will not have anything so dramatic as that for their play on Sunday morning.

Babs said...

Geez Steve, that whole realistic reenactment really unnerved me - I woke up at 2:30 and couldn't get back to sleep thinking about it! Will post photos of the processions later today - right now I'm enjoying great coffee and homemade blueberry muffins.......yum.

picklesandroses.blogspot.com said...

Oh gee...don't think I could have managed that one. I thought the crucifix at Atotonillco pretty bloody and it wasn't even real. Holy Moly...literally!