Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Traditions of Mexico

I don't remember how I found the tour company owned by Eric Mindling but it has been a while ago, maybe two years. We have corresponded about the difficulties of surviving in Oaxaca due to the downturn in tourism after the episodes there last year and other things. He has some fascinating ititneraries that are different from any other tour companies that I have found in Mexico. I so wanted to go to one in Chiapas last year, just didn't have the money for it.

So, from time to time, I get emails from Eric and I MUST share this one with all of you! It is a slide show of the indigenous people and the process of dying wool for the magnificent Zapotec rugs of Oaxaca. It is so beautiful and poignant it took my breath away. Go to http://traditionsmexico.phanfare.com/album/441320/613108#imageD=28654229 Enjoy and I hope some of you will find a tour that interests you. Let me know.........

5 comments:

Cynthia said...

Amazing! I've watched it three times and sent it on to friends.

Thanks

Babs said...

Hi Cynthia - Glad you enjoyed it. I thought it was so wonderful.......that I wanted to share it!
Barbara

E.(mily) said...

Thanks for posting the link. The slideshow was absolutely stunning. I loved how they integrated the buildings with the yarns and dyes. I love the whole explosion of color in Mexico. It lifts me every time I walk through any neighborhood.

Borrego said...

That was great

Glen said...

I am not big into weaving but that was extremely impressive and moving.

I can vouch for the dying power of Pomegranate as I was crushing some seeds yesterday for my daughter and the spray that got away from me was pretty potent!! Who knew we had a little bit of Mexico going on up here in Canada!!