Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Tianguis on Tuesday - San Miguel de Allende, Mexico


After parking and walking through the dusty parking lot, the first sight to greet me at the tianguis are the displays of cockatiels, parakeets, canaries, doves and who knows what other kind of birds.  It DOES always put a smile on my fact to hear the birdsong.

 I've been trying to get to the tianguis for a few weeks but life kept intruding.  However, I was up and out this morning before anyone or anything could interrupt.

I seldom photograph at the tianguis because about 12 years ago a man put a hex on my friend who photographed him and her camera didn't work again the whole trip.  True story. 
You can see by the look on the flower lady's face that she is none too happy.

 So, I try to take close ups of stuff.  You name it, you can find it here.  Anything.  Parts for all kinds of appliances.  Food.  Produce.  Live animals.  And, clothing - new and used just to name a few things.

 I love seeing the Mexican families watching the birds.  I don't think I know a family here in San Miguel that doesn't have some kind of birds.  I have so many wild birds singing in the garden that I certainly don't need a bird in a cage, thankfully.

The displays of peppers were just beautiful today.  I wonder if this is the time of the year when there is a large harvest.

 Everything is sold and weighed the old fashioned way.  On an old scale.

As I left with my bags full of items I purchased I saw this sign on the front of a truck from Michoacan.  That is about 3 hours from here.  Thanks to God.

 Ta da - the purchases of used clothing.  All name brands.  Total cost $10US - total purchased 4 shirts, one sweater, 2 scarves and a truck for Sebastian.

The sweater for my son is an Eddie Bauer.  Beautiful feel to the fabric.  Cost- 20 pesos, about $1.60US.  I know it appears I buy a lot of black.  My son jokingly says my closet looks like someone died in there due to the amount of black.

Great day at the tianguis.
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I enjoyed the tour of the market. I wish our markets in the capital were safe again. I enjoyed the same variety of wares in the past.

Babs said...

Laurie, how are the markets in Honduras not safe?

Benne' Rockett said...

Totally can relate to the photographing experience. My first visit to San Miguel a man accused me of stealing his image for National Geographic! I wish! I love the peoples' market in Merida. The tourist market is okay as there are lots of hand crafted items, but for food and color, I prefer the one used by locals.

Shannon said...

I love the Tuesday tianguis too. It is one of the few markets with enough space for my walker and I to get around. Also a wonderful place to people watch, but I highly recommend asking if it is OK before taking pictures of anyone. A LOT of superstition revolves around picture taking. Much to my chagrin I have a few pictures of people with the same expression as the lady in the picture above.