Tuesday, May 29, 2012

As the Shuttle Passes.........

There was a nostalgic article this past weekend in the Houston Chronicle about Timber Cove subdivision.  It recounted how many astronauts lived there, what transpired when the media showed up and how the families of non-astronauts carried on with their lives.

It was poignant in the stories they told of when there were disasters and how all came together to protect and assist those left behind.

That article, along with the photo posted today of the mock shuttle being brought up the Intracoastal Waterway this week to its final resting place at Johnson Space Center, brings back LOTS of memories.

Yes, we lived there in the "glory days".  The flags in each yard, almost always.  The pride at what was being done and accomplished.  The "splash down" parties.  Knowing many of the astronauts and families who were our neighbors.  My kids' school mates and some were in my Girl Scout troop.

The great thing was we were inwardly proud but we never imposed on them or invaded their privacy.  Those I knew considered it "just a job".  A funny memory from long ago is being introduced to an astronaut.  The wrong name was used.  He looked at me and said, "You meet one astronaut, you've met them all" with a smile.

It WAS an amazing time.  I think we knew it even then.  But, as time goes on and the Lunar Rendevous Festival continues, among other area events, the historical nature of it all has begun to take on even more significance.

I hope to be standing on Clear Lake on Friday to photograph this mock shuttle as it passes.  Yes, it is the end of an era. I intend to place that photo with all the others I have that I took when the shuttle used to be piggy-backed to Florida.  They would fly over JSC and our neighborhood and tip their wings.  It always made me get a catch in my throat.

"To infinity and beyond " as Buzz Light Years says, and many a future astronaut.


5 comments:

Marc Olson said...

It was an exciting time, wasn't it? I was a kid in school, and recall how big a deal the early launches and splashdowns were. We discussed each one in school, and the astronauts were our biggest heros. Exciting and in retrospect seemingly innocent times. Thanks for sharing the memory.

Steve Cotton said...

One of my fondest life memories arose out of a very tragic memory. I was part of an Air Force recovery group helping to clean up Florida after Hurricane Andrew. Our Air Force Reserve unit contained a search and rescue team that was assigned to assist with a shuttle launch while I was there. They asked if I wanted to join them in the air. It did not take more than one request. It was a magnificent sight.

Oregon lost out on getting one of the shuttles for the Evergreen museum (a company you know well). Treat it well.

Cheryl said...

Babs, I used to live in Timber Cove also! Such a great litle neighborhood. Of course, I wan't there during the time of the splash down parties, it was about 14 years ago. It hasn't changed much though. We still have friends there, so we visit a couple of times a year.

Cheryl said...

Babs, I used to live in Timber Cove also! Such a great litle neighborhood. Of course, I wan't there during the time of the splash down parties, it was about 14 years ago. It hasn't changed much though. We still have friends there, so we visit a couple of times a year.

Babs said...

Cheryl - Thanks for writing. Timber Cove is a lovely treed area. I think I designed a couple of homes in there about 20 years ago. I too still have tons of good friends in that whole area! GREAT people.