Saturday, March 17, 2012

Rituals and Traditions

 There are some things I'm very traditional about.  Rituals and traditions as it relates to my family is one of them.  Each week, usually on Saturday, when I have time I wander through the garden looking at the flowers.  I wonder which ones to cut to put into a little silver vase that a good friend gave to me eons ago.  Thanks Sheila Condon. 
 That little vase is placed next to a watercolor painting done by the daughter of another friend.  Thanks Wanda June and Sondra.  It is a watercolor painting of my daughter and her son, who was about five years old at the time.  I love the absolute love shown in that painting done from a photograph.  In addition, there is a little photo that I snapped of Jennifer one day when she dropped by my house in the winter.  I wanted a photo of her and spontaneously, this is what it turned out to be.  I love it.  She had such a great smile and a love of life.

The ritual for me allows me to focus and think about her in a joyful and beautiful way as I wander through the garden and choose the flowers to place next to her.  They are on a table next to my bed and the first thing I see when I awaken every morning.  It's not a sad thing.  It is comforting.  I'm totally confident that her spirit looks and smiles each week.

I often choose the color white as it was Jennifer's favorite color to decorate with in her home.  All kinds of shades of white.  Hence when I redid the main flower bed in the garden, I planted all white flowers.  White azaleas, white butterfly lilies, and other white flowers that I don't even know what they are.  Now there is a bed around the poinsetta tree nearby that started out as four small plants of daisies.  Tomorrow I will show you a surprise in the white garden and what has happened with the daisies.  I'm amazed.  Hopefully you will be too.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: