Tuesday, September 15, 2009

El Grito Festivities

I've noticed that when you give someone a silly hat, or headband or something like that the person's personality changes. They HAVE to smile. It's also fun to see WHO WILL and WHO WON'T be silly with you. This episode of the El Grito festivities started with lunch yesterday with some friends. One person didn't take their headband with them. Ah ha.
There is a primary school right across from my house. If I go up on the roof terrace, I can see and hear all their festivities. Today the speakers were so loud I didn't even have to go outside. But, I wanted to get a photo for the blog. This is a really bad photo but the kids were having fun playing games, listening to Mexican patriotic songs and eating. School ended early today. It will be quiet around here manana.
So, not to be outdone by lunch yesterday, I had lunch out today AGAIN! Hey, someone has to do it. This time at my friend Angie's fabulous house. Angie's the one with the headband. She's a fascinating woman who lived in Haiti for a long, long time before coming to San Miguel - hence the magnificent piece of Haitian art behind the three diners. All very interesting people...........but I had to run on.....to the next festivity.
It was a party at my great friends, Ron and Fred's house. They had told me it was going to be about 15 people. It was more like 85 people. I swear they must put up billboards out on the highway. Surely they don't know that many people.....do they? Again, I brought headbands for them. They are such great sports that they wore them throughout the party and we all had so much fun. If you read the blog, you know that I met them on the beach eighteen years ago in Puerto Vallarta. There seems to be some disagreement about who picked up who, but truly, we all just hit it off and stayed in touch. They moved to San Miguel and have ALWAYS enhanced my life. AND they make me laugh out loud..............all the time.

The festivities tonight in the jardin start at 11PM and will go all night. Of course it is raining now, but it always rains on this night.
Then tomorrow evening there is a grand parade and more festivities. Mexico definitely knows how to party. VIVA MEXICO!
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm getting a headband, or maybe a silly hat.

Andres

Anonymous said...

Thought that you'd like to know that Tom Delay was injured while rehearsing for Dancing with the Stars. It's uncertain if he'll be on the program. Maybe they can find a senator or congressman as his replacement.

Andres

Babs said...

Andres - Let me know if the headand or silly hat changes your personality.
Maybe Tom Delay damaged his "achille's heel". Wouldn't it be nice if Tricky Dick Cheney took over. He could do a "duck walk" or something equally inane.......
as in lame duck......

Anonymous said...

Or President O. He could dance around the issue of paying for all his zillion dollar handouts he gives to whoever asks for them.

Tabasco Tomás