Sunday, October 14, 2018

Silence is Golden

In the past, many friends who lived on the outskirts of San Miguel would talk about how quiet it was where they lived.  I had sort of a ho-hum attitude about that because I thought where I lived was extremely quiet. 

Well, it used to be, before they started the construction of the Aqua Hotel using jackhammers, bulldozers and other assorted noise making equipment.  Add to that the new street, called Cuahtemoc, which used to be a dirt walking path.  It abuts the bedroom wall of my now "previous" home.  The point is, it came in increments along with the new pavilion and the fact that someone discovered that sending off the fireworks from right behind the house caused an echo effect.  The worst, literally, in eighteen years, was my last night in the house before the movers came at O-dark-thirty the next morning.  Every thirty minutes, starting at 9:30PM to the point that at about 3:30AM, I opened the door and yelled "Alto".  Never had I done such a thing before.  It was a waste of breath as in about five more minutes more went off and shook the house.

Reluctantly I moved to the outskirts, truly.  I was not sure what to expect but what I did not expect was the absolute silence, with the exception of birds during the day, that I have experienced in the almost three weeks that I have been here.  The first night I could not sleep.  It was SO quiet.  All I could hear was the refrigerator going on and off on the other side of the house in the kitchen! 

It is an unexpected gift.  A welcome one that I did not even know I wanted or needed.
I do believe that I have finally found my "retirement" home!  That may sound strange to most of you.  After all, I have not "worked" since I came to San Miguel.  But, au contraire.  There were so many things to take care of, everything, for both houses including paying all the bills for utilities and everything along with maintenance and more.  NOW, I have nothing.  Nada.  It is ALL taken care of.
I'm ecstatic.

Not only about that, but about the house itself.  It has twelve foot ceilings which give a "loft" feel to the space.  Huge floor to ceiling windows in each room which gives spectacular views of the yard, the trees and the wildlife.  No, the wildlife does not include the resident skunk from before or the coatamundi or the feral cats.  But, I'm happy to report a squirrel or two, doves galore, hummingbirds flitting everywhere and other birds that I have not yet identified.  Oh yes, and egrets were dancing on the skylights the other night.  No way I could imagine what the sound was, until I looked up in surprise.

The neighbor who lives on the second floor is a delight.  So quiet and thoughtful.  He's a computer geek, his expression, not mine.  I forget he is up there because he makes not a sound, at all.

Can you sense my joy, in every word?  It is because I was so worried that I might be making a mistake.  I can categorically tell you, it is all good, no mistake.

The inside is just about ready to photograph.  Art is being hung tomorrow evening.  Something I can no longer do - climbing on a ladder, darn.  I'll share photos when it is ready.

Thanks to all of you who wrote to me during my angst and exhaustion of the marathon move.  It did help temendously.  Thankfully that is over and now we can go on to more fun adventures and posts on more interesting topics. 

Thankfully.

27 comments:

Unknown said...

I told you so, too....

Steve Cotton said...

I am happy to hear you are settled in. But, I do not envy your quiet. I am quite fond of my sounderful neighborhood. This morning, my neighbor shared a lot of norte music with me. I am now sharing Beethoven's 15th string quartet with him. All in the spirit of cross-culturalism.

Peter Kouwenhoven said...

Welcome home! Looking forward to the pictures. You might even get back into the kitchen and do some cooking… ;-)

Babs said...

Ron Stephens, I would have been so disappointed if you had not left that comment!

Steve, I leave that to you. I had enough of my next door neighbor having the base so low that my windows shook forcing me to go over and ask for him to turn it down. No more, thankfully.

Peter, I have such a nice kitchen that I HAVE been cooking. Today, home made guacamole and grilled salmon with fresh green beans. Yummy meal......And, this morning too - home made biscuits, Jimmy Dean sausage and scrambled eggs. Double yum

Life is good!

Unknown said...

Told you so #2! Welcome to my part of the world. Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

Babs, congrats on the “sounds of silence” ! Mary and I will be up the hill from your olde place next week! Let me know by email if you fancy Reese’s, and where to deliver them... we’ll be having fun tripping around SMA until the first week of Nov! Cheers!

Unknown said...

This sounds like you found heaven!

Tancho said...

So glad you are settling in, and the ease of movement in your new digs. When we built the house 20 years ago, I insisted on a single story ranch style without any steps. I guess I knew that later in life I step would be a challenge. How things change in life! Enjoy the quiet, since we are out of town also, It is peaceful for the soul.

Babs said...

Tancho, indeed, in my house in Houston, the master plus living room dining room and kitchen were on the first floor. But, when I moved here, I fell in love with that house and more so, the environment. I can tell you, not having any stairs, except for one step up into the house, is a blessing, to put it mildly. I AM enjoying the quiet and seclusion. It IS indeed peaceful for the soul! Thanks.

Babs said...

To the two "unknowns", thanks for commenting. Indeed, I might have found "heaven". The other joy is, when it rains, I do not have to run around with towels to put at the windows and doors anymore. It IS the little things that count.

Anonymous, I WILL email you, for sure!

marilyn said...

Hi Babs, I wrote my felicidades to you yesterday, it immediately showed up like a post, but, has disappeared (that happened awhile ago also). I hope I'm not banned - I'm a big fan of yours, so trying again.

My post was how I'd felt sad for your conflict over leaving your home that had been wonderful for many years. But, because you had loved your new casa when your friends lived there, I felt your love would return. And I'm so happy for you now, as you're loving it so much, and discovering new little things that bring you joy.

I'm looking forward to photos of your casa with your things, furniture and art. And photos of your two grandchildren running around on the lovely lawn. Your family must be thrilled that you are now living nearby. Lena James

Babs said...

Hi Marilyn - Thanks for your persistence in rewriting your comment. I SO appreciate it. Of course you are not banned. I don't know what happened (I don't know how to ban anyone, ha)

You are so right. The angst I felt for six months was palpable. But, it has really turned to joy and contentment.

Mati and Seb have already been over here and did "two thumbs up" over the built in counter where we now can play "Go Fish", instead of sitting on the footstool. Can't wait for them to have a "sleepover" with me and/or baking together or whatever.

The fact that the kids and John can walk over here makes my heart so so happy. It is ALL good.

I will post photos soon......

crynoutloud said...

Hola Babs,

Hogar dulce hogar. Gracias Jesus.

Babs said...

Crynoutloud, my sentiments exactly! And, a halleleuia too.

Contessa said...

Welcome to your new home. From the outside it appears truly peaceful. May you be content there for years to come.

Babs said...

Thanks Contessa. I hope for the contentment to continue as well......

R. P. said...

Bravo! Happiness abounds in secret spaces. Saludos, Robert & Colleen

Babs said...

Indeed Robert and Colleen - This is a secret space
and not visible from the street! Loving every minute.....

Kim G said...

Congratulations on having executed and, more importantly, survived your move. From the little I've seen and from what you've written, the new place sounds lovely. I tried to find the general area, and it looks like it's southwest of Centro. Is that correct? If so, looks like a nice neighborhood.

I wish you a long and happy "retirement" there.

Saludos y un abrazo,

Kim G
Redding, CA
Where the lack of steps is a huge relief for my mother.

Babs said...

Thanks Kim for your congratulations. I DID survive the move, barely. There were a couple of times where I wondered....
Yes, I am Southwest of centro. Out past La Comer the big grocery store that used to be called Mega. The highway into the Los Frailes is the road to Celaya. It is SO quiet. Have many friends that live out here as well.
The lack of steps, an electric garage door opener and even a garbage disposal make life here so much easier! I'm thrilled.
Come visit some time. Are you still in Sacramento?Did you find a place for your MOM?

Kim G said...

Hola Barbara,

I'm still stuck in Redding. Now we are trying to get my mother a Mexican visa, which has proven surprisingly tedious. At the moment we are in limbo, awaiting some kind of decision. I did take my mother to Ajijic, which she liked, and did find her a place. But we need the visa first, and then hope for availability where she wants to go. It's all kind of frustrating.

Saludos,

Kim

Scott said...

Congratulations on a successful move. Tiring and tedious though they are. As you say, it is often the little things, such as quiet, not having to worry about stairs and rain coming in as well as family close by that make all the difference. Glad you are enjoying your kitchen and as a former Jimmy Dean employee I am happy you had such a great breakfast.

Looking forward to the pictures!

Babs said...

Scott McQuown - You never cease to amaze me with another tidbit about your life. A Jimmy Dean employee. Oh my. I wish they had the little sausage biscuits here, but, alas no. In fact, I get the sausage at a little tienda that brings specialty items in from the states.

I have the photos in my camera but I cannot find the cord that connects the camera to the computer........so I have finally ordered one from Amazon and am expecting it any day and then will post photos.

Thanks for commenting. BTW, I'm still loving it here.

Scott said...

Mr. Dean had the pleasure of being introduced to me and so many others every year when he came to town for the company Christmas party. ;-) And we all had to sing along with him as he performed "Big Bad John".

Babs said...

Scott, great story! Did you have Jimmy Dean sausage at the Christmas party? YUM.
I make great sausage balls at Christmas with cornbread and sausage. Everyone loves them...

Scott said...

Babs, sorry for the delay. Why yes, of course we had JD sausage in the form you mention and a few other JD products (bacon for wrapped items like rumaki, wrapped asparagus and smoked sausage). The party was held in Memphis at the Peabody Hotel so there was also some of their excellent party fare. Typically, by the time he and his younger (2nd or 3rd--not sure) wife showed up he was close to 3-sheets in the wind but could still entertain. And one year, one of his friends, Marty Stuart, was in town and joined the party and the entertainment.

Babs said...

Great story Scott! I remember as a small child going to the Peabody on our family's first outing from Chicago to Shreveport........we stopped in Memphis just to go to and stay at the Peabody! Funny memories, eh? Yours and mine!