Monday, June 11, 2018

My Symphony

Today I came across this poem by William Henry Channing, a 19th century clergyman.  I have saved it and read it for well over twenty years and thought you might enjoy it as well.

                                                                         'My Symphony'

                   To live content with small means;
                   To seek elegance rather than luxury,
                   and refinement rather then fashion;
                   To be worthy, not respectable;
                   and wealthy, not rich;
                   To study hard, think quietly, talk gently,
                   act frankly;
                   To listen to stars and birds,
                   To babes and sages, with open heart,
                   to bear all cheerfully, do all bravely,
                   await occasions, hurry never.
                   .....To let the spiritual unbidden and unconscious,
                   grow up through the common.
                   This is to be my symphony.



7 comments:

Barbara Lane said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Barbara Lane said...

Bravo!! I, too, love this and have gone back to it again and again over the years. Thank you for reminding me of its truth and beauty. Amen.

alcuban said...

Beautiful. Strike up the band, I say.

Joyce Wycoff said...

lovely and always nice to see it again. thanks.

Unknown said...

Lovely, cheers to you.

Babs said...

I am so happy your comments are coming through! I have just corrected the settings category which allows EVERYONE to comment. For some reason, these comments are now not showing up on my computer to alert me to them...........sheesh.

R. P. said...

Hi Babs,
If this comment posts, then you have success!
The El Jardin webcam confirms the downpours you have had. A beautiful day this day, though.
Be Well.
Onward and Upward.
Saludos,
Robert