Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Two Sides of the Coin

On Monday, while at our coffee group's weekly gathering, I was able to get a few interesting photos now that my camera has a new battery!

It wasn't til I downloaded the photos that I saw the absolute contrast between the two things that I photographed.
 I saw this beautiful woman going from table to table asking for help.  Her face and manner said it all.
 In her rebozo were flattened out cardboard boxes which I assume either she or someone else either use for firewood or to make cartoneria figures.
When I meet someone like this, I would like to sit down and ask all kinds of questions.  Such as where were you born, do you have a family, where do you live, how can I help you?  But, instead, since my language capabilities are limited and I want to respect her privacy, I just give her money and hope it helps.

This photo of her, to me, is a sobering photo anytime, but especially at this time of year.

Then, something hilariously funny, to me, happened.  I looked up and saw this.  The caption should be,
How Do You Move Furniture From One Restaurant To Another in San Miguel de Allende?   Yup, that is what this is.



Milagros Restaurant, located on Reloj is opening a new restaurant in the Old San Francisco Hotel restaurant that fronts the jardin across from Starbucks.  It WILL be a roaring success.  I've never had a bad meal there in all the years that I have dined there. As far as I know they will now have two locations.

But, I digress.  At first I saw one person carrying the fuscia colored equipale chairs to the new location.  And, eventually they had a dolly to carry several at one time.  This went on for quite a while.  I think it emphasizes that we are still a small village that figures out how to get things done without all the 21st century amenities.  I treasure that.

My Monday morning was sobering, but then hilariously funny.  I treasure that as well.

6 comments:

Joan said...

I love the little old indigenous women there! I too always want to interview
them and find out about their lives. Excited to hear about the new restaurant!

Barbara Lane said...

Popping in to wish you a very Merry Christmas and a blessed New Year. Thank you for another year of wonderful posts and photos!

Kendra at New Life On A Homestead said...

Hi Babs! Just found your blog in my researching of San Miguel. Would it be possible for me to email you with some questions? If so, would you mind sharing that contact info with me here? I can't seem to find a way to email you from your blog. Thanks!!

Anonymous said...

There are certainly some hard luck stories out there in Mexico. That woman looks like she has to work *very* hard to stay afloat. It's a good reminder of how lucky all we gringos are.

Saludos y feliz Navidad,

Kim G
El Granada, CA
Where we just had a lovely Christmas eve dinner with family.

Peter Kouwenhoven said...

Hi Barbara,

I just love making a big mess in your kitchen. This year's Christmas dinner was one of our favourites.
Thanks for sharing your lovely home with us.

Cheers, Peter.

peterandshelagh.blogspot.com

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.