Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Turning an AGGRAVATION into an ABUNDANT GIFT!

For all the years I've lived in this house, each time I look West toward the mountains, and attempt to take a
beautiful sunset photo or storm photo or fog photo, this monstrosity of an unused light pole has loomed in
every image.
There it is in all its ugliness I have thought, ruining such a magical view.  I couldn't see the forest for this dumb concrete tree!

Another equally aggravating view..........that is, until recently.  I moved my reading chair from the bedroom to the living room.  Always in the past, I sat on the chaise to read and that faced toward the interior gardens with the poinsettia tree, the lilies, and all the other vast array of nature.

BUT, the chair now faced out the windows toward the West.  I did not notice it at first, other then the fact that the light less pole was still there.

Then one morning there were a few sparrows on it.  Those cross beams are hollow.  In and out they came.  I'm assuming there are many nests inside based on all the scurrying about.  The following day something really funny happened.  The red headed woodpecker was perched on top of the concrete pole and pecking away at it.  He would face one way for a while and peck....then scoot a little bit and peck.  He managed to circumnavigate the whole darn pole while pecking and looking for other low flying birds.

You see, now that I have the chair there, its a perfect place to drink my coffee early and watch the antics of whoever or whatever is coming that morning.   Another morning about ten sparrows decided to go up and down the guy wires attached to the pole.  It was like watching the Rockettes or something.......in perfect form.

Then the light bulb moment happened!  For gosh sakes, this thing that had aggravated me for so long had become such a joyful and humorous and fun thing to watch each and every day.  I then realized, it is all in our perception, isn't it?


10 comments:

Leslie Alpen said...

LOL loved your explimation of the pole acceptance...now you need to zoom in on the bird antics...lesalp.blogspot.com.au. ...watching from afar and enjoying your blog

Barbara Lane said...

Indeed. Perception is everything. What has been your irritation has been, it sounds like, to them the perfect home. I always try to remind myself (and it's not always easy!) that my view is simply that - my view. It is not THE view!

Babs said...

Yes, Leslie, I should have the camera up there to capture all the activity, but, that time of the morning is my meditation and relaxation time before all the activities of the day begin. I kinda hate to interrupt that. Maybe some day.
Thanks for writing and I'm going to check out your blog! Glad you provided the address......

Babs said...

Good viewpoint Barbara. I'll remember that.

Billie Mercer said...

Barbara, you just made my morning with your happy post. It was also a good reminder to take through the day.

Babs said...

Awww, thanks Billie. At this time when the world is kinda crazy, it's kinda nice to bring it back to the Abundance of Life, isn't it?

Enjoy your day.......

Retired Teacher said...

It's interesting how Nature will often take man-made objects and put them to its own use. Bet you're glad now that ugly pole was never torn down.

Calypso said...

Turning lemons into lemonade - that is our Babs ;-)

Anonymous said...

I'm doing (every so slowly) A Course in Miracles, and your blog post fits right into the theme. One of the lessons (earlier on) is I have given everything I see in this room
[on this street, from this window, in this place] all the meaning that it has for me.


Well, you just gave that light pole new meaning, and look what a difference it makes.

Saludos,

Kim G
Boston, MA
Where we are amazed at ACIM's effect on our perspective.

Babs said...

Bill, I think I would still like for it to be gone, but in the meantime, I sure enjoy all the playfulness and posturing of the birds!


Calypso, Yup, that's me from lemons (of which I have a gazillion) to lemonade....all my life.



Kim, I know many who have taken ACIM and it has drastically altered their lives. Good for you.......It's fun to see things in a new light, isn't it?