Monday, July 20, 2015

CASH FOR CHEMO

It is fascinating how people cross your path, one way or the other, and change your life forever.  Writing the blog has done this many times over for me.  Meeting people who write has turned into delightful friendships.

Enter Todd McIntosh and Shannon Casey - husband and wife.  I met the two of them when they still lived in Patzcuaro but came often to San Miguel for visits.  What a delightful, exuberant and vivacious couple they are to know.

Then about five years ago, while Shannon was trying to save a hummingbird that had flown into their high ceiling living room, she fell off a very tall ladder causing multiple injuries which, so far, has required EIGHT surgeries.   The first few surgeries in Morelia were not adequate so she and Todd sought out the well respected orthopedic surgeon, Dr. Schmidt in Queretaro.  There have been several procedures under his capable hands. Todd wrote about this event on his blog, Life in El Corazon in 2010. 

In order to facilitate all of this, Todd and Shannon sold their home in Patzcuaro for the funds necessary for those operations and moved to San Miguel to be nearer to Dr. Schmidt.

Then in May, another boom.  Shannon found out she had stage 3 cancer! Mixed malignant mullerian tumor (MMMT)  Even though they had signed up for health care in Mexico, it is not all covered by the plan.

Just  imagine the shock when they found out that each necessary chemo treatment would require an additional 15,000 pesos.  They need help.  The funds they had for the previous surgeries have depleted all their operating money.

A website for receiving funds has been set up called Cash for Chemo.  The link is https://life.indiegogo.com/fundraisers/cash-for-chemo.    Please give if possible.  It would be greatly appreciated by this kind and needful couple.

If you're interested in reading Shannon's blog, it is Rat Race Refugee. Both are on my blogroll.

There will be a fundraiser on Friday, August 14th at  La Noche Piano Bar on Zacateros in San Miguel de Allende. I'm working on this event that will have donated items for sale and a fun night for all with great music.  Hope to see you there. More on this as the details are solidified.  

Thanks for taking time to read this and helping, if possible.

5 comments:

Rick said...

So sorry to hear this. I feel I know her after reading her blog over the years.
Hopefully she will make a full recovery and continue her interesting happy lifestyle.

Shannon said...

Thank you so much Barbara, for helping me share my problem. You, and so many others here in San Miguel have been a Godsend. I am so very lucky to have you all as friends.

And thank you Rick as well for your kind words.

Babs said...

Shannon, that's what friends are for. I know it is hard to ask for help. I learned that lesson when my daughter became ill. What I discovered, as you have, is that people want to help, are ready to help in whatever way they can. They just don't want to be intrusive, but once they know you want help, they are there in ways you can't even imagine. At the time we went through our hard times, our hearts were filled and our spirits lifted by the generosity of spirit and kindness. I know the same is happening to you now and it's a true gift. Hugs.

Anonymous said...

Dearest Babs, you are so right when you say blogging introduces us to new friends. I am from Merida so I have not had the pleasure of meeting you yet, but I hope this will happen when I travel to San Miguel in September.

I am also an admirer of Shannon. And you won't believe this... she and I both attended Delbrook Senior Secondary in North Vancouver, Canada. Imagine how surprised we were to discover that!

Since then, we have corresponded and seen one another. Shannon is a wonderful, loving person. Her husband Todd is one of the warmest and most supportive men I know. I am so glad you have written about them today. They are not in this situation due to poor planning or financial mismanagement. Everyone has heard the 60s expression: S - - T HAPPENS! And it sure happened to them - BIG TIME.

In Merida, we have Shannon in our hearts and prayers... you'll hear more about this soon. Please give Shannon a big hug from me. See you soon... Joanna

Babs said...

Hi Joanna - Thanks for commenting. I feel like I know you as your blog is on my blogroll and I keep up with you.
I'll be here in September and hope that we can connect! I think you were here last year for the Writer's Conference but it was not possible for us to connect at that time. Maybe it will happen soon.
Shannon and Todd are adorable. It's amazing that ya'll went to school together.
I'm aware of all the ins and outs of the past five years. That now this cancer has come up just doesn't seem fair. But, I know they will plow through this........with a little help from their friends. Friends like you and me.