Friday, October 31, 2014

Happy Halloween from San Miguel de Allende, Mexico!

It has been years and years since I have celebrated Halloween in San Miguel.  My friend Dawn used to have a big costume party.  It was always fun to go and see all the time grown adults spent in making costumes.

The last time a group of us went as the "Sheet Family".  Sheets, of course, were the dress.  It took 15 minutes to make........kinda like a toga.  Someone went as "no sheet", someone went as "three sheets to the wind" and I went as "hot sheet".  It was really hilarious.

Today Matilda and Sebastian came by to get their Halloween trick or treat bags that my dear friend Linda had gotten for them in Texas.  Oh my, perfect, since they didn't have one.  Sebastian's matched his costume and he was excited.  He turned to me and said, "Trick or Treat""! So did Matilda......

The above photos make me chuckle!  Matilda loves to pose and to have a pretty dress.  Sebastian is more interested in figuring out how to get the pumpkin necklace to light up with the little LED lights.  He figured it out faster then we did!

In the photo of Matilda, its so cute to see how she is holding her hand.  Oh my, she's only 6!  Such a sweet child.

This picture says it all!  Matilda loves to look beautiful and pose.  You couldn't get Sebastian to pose unless you glued his feet to the floor.

If anyone doesn't think little boys and girls have different viewpoints,  think again!

Happy Halloween Everyone.  Tomorrow begins the coverage of the festivities for Dia de los Muertos.


10 comments:

Billie Mercer said...

The children are so adorable. Both of those children are going to drive their Daddy crazy....but in very different ways. So glad I didn't have to figure out two kinds of kids.

Anonymous said...

Every year there are more and more kids in my neighborhood, and we had a blast last night. I love Halloween.

Saludos,

Kim G
Boston, MA
Where we are still hoarse from answering the door in a monster voice.

Babs said...

Billie, they already are.....in a good way.

Kim, nary a child knocked on my door. Now what am I going to do with a bag of Reese's peanut butter cups? Oh dear.

jennifer rose said...

Your grandson's dyeing his hair now? Or was that just the light?

Babs said...

Good eyesight Jennifer. It's that washable hair color the kids use. Matilda had purple in her hair.....
FUN!

Shannon said...

Oh may goodness, those pictures are too adorable for words! Happy Halloween kids!

Babs said...

Thanks Shannon. Every time I see them it IS quite an experience.

Today I had some animal cookies for the kids. Sebastian went and had his stitches out of his neck! So, I asked him if he wanted some animal cookies and then he said only if it was a hippopotamus or an elephant. Guess who was digging through the bag? Yup, Grammy. We found lots of buffalos! Very few of the others.

Droelma said...

In the late 70's I went to Graduate School in the US and tried to participate in as many holidays and celebrations as I could. Halloween was no exception.
I dressed up my dog Petunia as a witch and taught her to jump on a dresser in the entry way, where I planned to turn off all light for " trick & treat " night.
I also tied an old fashioned broom to the top of the dresser and strung Christmas lights around the broom. The idea was that it would look like Petunia was standing on a broom and flying away. I could not understand why all the kids were disappointed and several grumbled something that sounded not very nice. I did another trick the year after and only when one of the older kids requested their " treats " did I have an idea that something was not quite right. I had understood " trick or treat " to mean : you show is a trick, but if you can't you have to pay with a treat . The year after, I gave candy and the kids were disappointed because Petunia was dressed up, but no longer did tricks.
I am happy that I had those experiences, because I have lived on in " no- Halloween " ( and with that I mean no Hallmark Halloween ) countries since then.

Babs said...

Great story Droelma. I used to LOVE Halloween and have had my fair share of all kinds of costumes!

I also had a plastic flamingo that had little outfits I had made. My favorite was the one for Halloween as a witch that a friend gave me. She had a witch's hat and cape.....she resided in the atrium where she was safe and secure inside the house.

Droelma said...

I wish we could post photos here ( I also understand why it is not possible). My best friend has a severely physically and mentally disabled sister in her 60's. We are trying to teach her that that not everything that looks scary ( like a witch ) is bad. Last year I made a scarecrow outfit for her bear and this year I made a black cat suit. Even I liked how it tuned out.
For me it is kind of sad that even she started to ask about the " witches' feat " a few years ago, because TV had gotten to her also.....even though within the general society " Halloween " is not really celebrated....unless of course, there is family history involved. She started to pay attention, because what she saw on TV was a made too look gruesome Halloween type ad for their " midnight " sale, which had nothing to do with Halloween the way it is celebrated in the US. I love the holiday in it'soriginal form.....