Wednesday, April 30, 2014

MEXICO - Always an Adventure!

It started out yesterday morning, first thing, when I discovered that my cheap little Mexican cellphone would no longer take a charge.  Ahh, add that to the list of things to do.  Buy a new battery.  Not a big deal at all, just a minor aggravation.

An hour or so later, I turned on the water to take a shower and, ooops, no hot water.  The gardener had been here the day before.  He has strict instructions to check the gas cylinders to see if it is low and needs to be changed over to the backup tank.  Guess, as usual, that didn't happen.  I have a HIGH fear of gas and won't attempt to switch the tanks and relight the water heater.  I DID try once about twelve years ago and blew off my eyelashes so I don't go near the darn thing.

Okay, that's two things - although minor.  But a little aggravating.  I'm thinking, "What will be #3?"  Cause doesn't it always happen in threes?  However, the day proceeded on, with no hot water, and I kinda forgot about the aggravations, until the curtain that hangs across the front of the cabinets below the sink fell.  I don't even want to tell you how long I spent trying to rescrew the long screw back into the hole.  I did not succeed.  I, the "neat nut", finally had to walk away........just couldn't get it to work.

That's three.  Now, the question is, "Would these things happen if I wasn't in Mexico?" Possibly.  But some days it does seem like an adventure that I don't think I want to participate in any more.

Then last evening I went up on the roof terrace to see if it was going to rain, or, if we were going to have a sunset.  I was rewarded with looking up and seeing the Mexican Eagle swooping in the air currents right by the house.  I don't know how long I stood there watching him.  He looked like the ultra-light plane last week just swooping and diving.  How wonderful!  I have not seen him in quite a while and figured he had moved on to other areas.  It was like welcoming an old friend home.

Today, my irritation at the few aggravations yesterday are over.  I'm GRATEFUL for everything today and especially this wonderful life in this surreal place called Mexico.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Of course, those things would happen in any part of the world. Cell phone batteries croak, and the worst part is that the battery often costs as much as the phone. Even if you had an electric hot water heater or gas piped in from the street, power outtages happen. Curtain rods fail. None of that is limited to Mexico.

What we do learn in Mexico is gratitude.

Tancho said...

Is there any reason that you don't have a large tank on your roof, which would get filled once a year ?
The truck would come by and fill it up for you and you don't have to fool around with changing tanks?

Babs said...

You are so correct Jennifer. In fact the phone was out Sunday morning and the electricity was off for a few hours the other day. Those things are so commonplace that I don't give them a second thought. Ha........It was just ME, not Mexico, for sure.

Babs said...

Tancho the configuration of the roof terrace is such that there is no room for a tank. In fact the tinaco is on the little roof above where I come out the door.
Remember, also, I rent and don't own this place. Usually the gas cylinders are not a problem if I remember to check since the gardener always fails to check. It was really ME yesterday being aggravated, not Mexico's problem, ha.

Steve Cotton said...

But some days it does seem like an adventure that I don't think I want to participate in any more.

But isn't that true also of all relationships -- even our love affair with Mexico? Some days are better than others. But the bad ones teach us to treasure the far better ones.

I listened to Sondheim's Follies last night and realized how similar being married is to living in Melaque. And, at the end of a bad day, I can tell myself: "Let's go home" -- only to realize I am already there.

Retired Teacher said...

Look at it this way... yesterday you had a week's, or perhaps a month's worth of aggravations all at once. That's out of the way, and now, hopefully, it will be smooth sailing for quite a while!

Babs said...

Ahh, Steve, you always know just what to say........however, I LOVED being married......I DO get tired of taking care of everything on my own. Of course there is no guarantee that if I was married that wouldn't still be the case, but, I don't think so.
It's fun to share the trials and tribulations with a kind, caring partner.

Babs said...

Bill, that IS one way to look at it. I drove to Celaya and back today and had NO problems whatsoever. So the three things are behind me........and, ta da, I HAVE hot water, oh blessings! Now all I have to do is figure out how to rehang that darn curtain.....and, I will........tomorrow, ha.

Dan in NC said...

Toothpick or matchstick into hole, and retry installing the screw. Sorry to hear about the aggravation.

Babs said...

Great idea Dan, I'll try that and let you know. I almost have to lay on my back and get under the counter to work on it, but TOMORROW with flashlight, and pillow to lay on, I'm determined to get it fixed. Isn't that a mental image?

CheriRae said...

Found your blog before moving to San Miguel and have enjoyed it ever since. I, like you, am grateful and appreciative of the magical, mystical, imperfectly perfect place I now call home. Thanks always for sharing with us. - cherirae

Babs said...

Imperfectly perfect place is such a great way to describe San Miguel, CheriRae. Welcome!

Glad you enjoy San Miguel and the blog!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.