Friday, April 18, 2014

Feeling lackadaisical!


These are a couple of photos that I took a week ago on the Day of Sorrows!  As I was driving down Cinco de Mayo, a booth was set up  next to a curb, selling flowers to decorate altars and fountains all around town.  That's about all the festivities of this Semana Santa season that I have seen.

The other photo is of a the little "volunteer" jacaranda tree that has grown in a pot on the roof terrace.  It is still blooming.  However the huge tree between the two houses now has nary a bloom after the awesome strong winds we had for two days this past week.

I have, even though I said I wasn't, attempted to skulk the back streets to run errands and get places without getting caught in a traffic jam,  procession, parade, band practice or whatever.  I have succeeded for the most part.  I actually went out yesterday to pay a bill and the office was closed.  You see, here in Mexico, very few things can be paid by internet.  In fact, in this particular case, Megacable, you don't even receive a bill  You just have to remember when it is due and go pay it.  If not, your service is turned off.  I always pay several days in advance to avoid any aggravations.  I was foiled yesterday.  It is due on Easter.  We'll see what happens when I attempt to pay it first thing on Monday morning.  One of those minor Mexican adventures........

So, this week, I've been so lazy and lackadaisical that it's been amazing.  Maybe it's a reaction to all the hoopla from my birthday that I am now calming down.  Or, maybe it is the fact that school is out and it is so quiet up here that I"m luxuriating in the silence.

Even Velcro, the cat, has been taking longer then usual siestas.  Like, all day naps.  I think she likes to have me around from time to time.  She follows me from room to room.  AND if I go out to work in the gardens, which I've done a LOT of this week, there she is, laying near my work area.  Such an odd cat or as I say, "my dog/cat"

I've baked cupcakes and made lunch for this afternoon.  Matilda and Sebastian are supposed to come to dye Easter eggs so the Easter Bunny can come tonight and hide them for an Easter Egg hunt in the garden tomorrow.  Looking forward to all of this.  I made cupcakes early this morning in my little oven.  Something that usually takes about 20 minutes in a regular oven takes me over an hour in my little toaster oven as I can only do six cupcakes at a time.  Oh well, I just do other things while I wait to race to the kitchen every 15 minutes for four times.  Again, it's all about the adventure.

Hope this post finds all of you having a wonderful, blessed Easter season.  That the bunny gives you Easter eggs to make deviled eggs along with a delicious chocolate Easter bunny to eat.  We don't have the chocolate bunnies here in Mexico, hence, the mention.  It never mattered when I was in the USA because I knew all I had to do was go to the store.  I'm here to tell you after going to every store imaginable in San Miguel, nary a chocolate bunny was to be found.  IT IS rather frustrating trying to make Easter baskets for Mati and Sebastian.

Ive rambled on in a lackadaisical manner.  Just exactly how I feel, languid.

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

Living in San Miguel, you are so deprived. Here in Morelia, Sanborns and Superama had chocolate Easter bunnies.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Babs said...

IF I had known Superama had them I could have driven over to Juricia, near Queretaro to get some. Next year......THANKS.

Tancho said...

I tried to find those plastic eggs that you open up and put small gifts in. Our caretaker has 3 children and I was going to put a peso and a candy in each of the eggs and hide them out in the garden.
Two days of running around Patzcuaro, going to Aurrera, Soriana, couple of jugueterías and none were to be found.
So much for the thought of the Easter egg hunt.....

Babs said...

Tancho, how thoughtful of you. I did find the plastic eggs at Soriana....that was it!
I bought those to put something in as well....

Droelma said...

I have known Mexico since 1963 and live here permanently since 1995 and have never met a Mexican family that did anything special for Easter, including food, unless they had lived for a considerable time outside of the country. I am from Germany where Easter ( as the end of the " dark " season as well as as a christian celebration ) was a big deal with colored chicken eggs, chocolates, themed easter bunnies out of chocolate, marzipan, transparent sugar, filled with liqueur for the adults, individualized easter baskets, or plates with the help of fake grass turned into nests, new shoes, dresses and socks.....and then here......pfft....nothing....not even an Easter meal. It's just not part of the culture and I have gotten used to it. Of course that was easy for me, not having a family of my own with children and grandchildren. I don't know what I would do if I had a family and would want to maintain at least a little bit of the culture of my origin. These days I just kind of check in passing and have seen nothing related to Easter in any of the supermarkets in Mexico City. I would have however thought that there was more Easter stuff in SMA, because of the much more pronounced cultural mix. From reading several SMA blogs I get the idea that you can buy things ( like cheap wine.....and I am not talking about a bottle of " Gallo " for 140 pesos ) that in the capital we only hope for . It surprises me that there were no Easter items.

norm said...

I like that word lackadaisical .

Anonymous said...

My sister in SMA reports that Johfrej Chocolates does have chocolate bunnies and eggs, undecorated.

My approach toward Easter is more Mexican. It's a time to sit back, enjoy peace and quiet, grill something or go off in search of red meat.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Babs said...

Thanks Norm, I do too. I once had to spell it in a state spelling bee when I was about 14. I have never forgotten the word!

Babs said...

Jennifer, that has been my way as well since I've been in Mexico. However, having two wee ones to create some of the special traditions that their parent grew up with, is part of the fun of it all.
Next year, I'll be buying the stuff in December or Jan. when I'm in Tx if possible. I never thought of the Johfrej. Should have. Thanks!

Babs said...

Droelma, those are the traditions that I grew up with as well in a Midwestern city with German descendants. It was a BIG deal - new outfit, etc etc etc. Had a lot of cousins, aunts, uncles, etc. About 40 of us would get together!
Then when my husband died around this time of year, I tried to make Easter really special in a new way. We started going to the beach for Easter week and would have an Easter Egg hunt at the beach house etc. And, then, when all the grandkids came, it was even MORE fun.
Now, I'm having to get back in the swing of things. This will be the second Easter Egg hunt in SMA. Just because of Mati and Sebastian.
There are not many gringo kids here, at all contrary to the perception that the realtors try to project. Today, driving down Salida de Celaya, I only saw 5 gringos out of hundreds and hundreds and a hundred more nationals........That is the real story.

Dan in NC said...

Something fun for the youngsters? Have them "plant" 6-10 jelly beans in the garden.. When they go home, replace them with lollipops and when they come back, show them what they "grew"!! Luv the look on the kids faces... Anything but lackadaisical ! Hope you have a peaceful , pleasant, non-rock&roll, weekend.

Babs said...

Oh my gosh, Dan, what a fun idea. I'll see if I can find some lollipops tomorrow before they come to the house....or I'll save the ones off the cupcakes! It WILL be fun to see their surprise.

Steve Cotton said...

On Tuesday, I tried to pay my Telmex bill. System down. Wednesday? System down. Come back on Monday. But the bill is due tomorrow. Monday. My hope is that everyone at Telmex will be so busy with semana santa that my incredibly slow internet will not be cut off.

Babs said...

Ironically, Steve, I just called Megacable and they are open today and on Easter Sunday! Go figure!
Closed Thursday and Friday but open on Easter. My bill is due on Easter so I darn well better get there today or it will be turned off automatically. Same thing with Telmex, it is automatically turned off if not paid by the day due. Ask me how I know.....

Paul said...

Just an FYI, I pay megacable online every month with a US credit card. Might be worth looking at their new website. Also pay Telmex and CFE online.

Anonymous said...

Babs, you could pick up some of those molds, probably even here at a candy- or craft-supply store, and make chocolate Easter bunnies. And maybe even sell them to bunny-starved gringos.

Babs said...

Paul, I'll check that out! Thanks!

Jennifer, we have NO craft supply stores here which is ok, I sincerely doubt I would do it anyway.....I do have a runner coming from Texas with some marshamallow and chocolate bunnies. Was supposed to arrive yesterday, just in time. Now it's late today, which will be too late, but I'll think of something...Thanks for the thought.

Unknown said...

We attempted to locate individuals plastic material ova that you simply open as well as place little presents within. The caretaker offers 3 kids as well as We would place the peso along with a chocolate within each one of the ova as well as conceal all of them away within the backyard.
2 times associated with caught Patzcuaro, likely to Aurrera, Soriana, handful of jugueterías as well as not one had been found.



LOL代练  lol boosting  Cheap Fifa 15 Coins Cheap lol elo boost