Monday, April 15, 2013

The Bells of the Parroquia, San Miguel de Allende, Mexico


I photographed the bells on Friday.  I see and hear them daily.  I can't imagine why I haven't done this previously.

Since I live "up the hill" the sound is muffled and delightful on a daily basis - many times daily.

However, when I'm sitting in the jardin, across from the Parroquia. at 11:30AM, 11:45AM, and 12 noon, I know as well as everyone else knows to just be quiet until the bells and the bell ringers are through ringing them.  Conversation is impossible.

If you look closely (click on the photos for larger images) you'll see the boys and men that spin the old, old bells to make them ring.

I'm sure those bell ringers must have hearing issues if they do this very often.  On the other hand,
there is a comfort, even at 6AM in knowing that all is well in San Miguel.

At times, the bell ring almost continuously on certain days, usually holy days.  If I remember correctly, they rang non-stop on the day that Pope John Paul died.

Since I've been told there are 32 religious buildings with bells in San Miguel, you can imagine the music if more then one rings - which does happen.

However, none are as large nor as loud as the Parroquia, the iconic symbol of San Miguel de Allende, Mexico.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: