Thursday, May 03, 2012

The Joke is on Me


Yesterday I posted on the quiet in Mexico.  Today I take that statement back.  Fireworks and church bells have been making noise and ringing - day and night - since I posted that.

Yesterday was the day to honor the construction workers on all houses and buildings being built in San Miguel and throughout Mexico.  A cross is installed on the top of the building.  The workers are treated to a fine lunch brought to the job site.  I think it is a great tradition.

Today is the Feast of the Sacred Cross.  Hence around 4:30 the bombs, known as fireworks started.  I usually just smile, turn over and attempt to go back to sleep.  They usually start at 6AM and go on for an hour.  Not today.  They are still going on. 

The church bells rang and rang this morning also.

Some, on the Snivel List (a Yahoo Group chat room thingy) have complained that their siestas were disturbed yesterday.  Others wanted to know if there isn't a noise ordinance in San Miguel.  I just smile.  You can always spot the newcomers to town.

As irritating as the noise was when I first moved here, I've learned to embrace it as a sign to teach me patience, tolerance and love for the culture.

So much for the quiet.  I forgot about the fireworks in May.
Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

Mike Landfair said...

Love the frog!

Life's a Beach! said...

LOL! We spent a month in the middle of the colonias on Isla Mujeres in November/December. Dogs barking, fireworks, loud bands from beach clubs at all hours of the night, the loudspeaker at the soccer field, neighbors doing construction work at midnight, roosters, cat fights, and even a marching band practicing at 6:30 a.m. Oops, almost forgot the vendor's bicycle horns and the little go-carts making the public announcements. Recently on Trip Advisor, a poster recommended staying in the colonias for peace and quiet. I got a good laugh off that one!

Babs said...

Mike, those are made in Delores Hidalgo, home to Talavera.

Babs said...

Beck, I have one word for you.
Earplugs. I never travel in Mexico without them.......

sparks_mex said...

No noise in my little community but my workers did a lot of goofing off. We put up the cross one of the wives made, 'cubas' started at 4 (tequila and coke) and three families showed up around 6 with a huge pot of pozole. Good time had by all

Babs said...

How great to be part of that! How's the weather over there? Hot yet?

sparks_mex said...

This past week the temperture went up along with humidity. A late blooming of the Primavera trees