Tuesday, November 01, 2011

WHAT crossed the road?

I've completed the trek back to San Miguel from the Houston area. I don't really know how many miles it is but I know that it is about 14 hours driving which I complete in two days.

While driving back this time two things ran across the highway. Each seemed symbolic as to my location. In Texas it was a roadrunner. The first I've ever seen! It was near Freer, the Rattlesnake Capital of the USA. (I didn't stop to verify that)

Then when I got to Mexico, so help me I'm NOT making this up, a chihuahua ran across the road near some little village. And I do mean he was running, FAST. It made me laugh.

Of course there were other things on the side of the road, especially when you get down near Matehuala. Lots of shepherds and sheep. Lots of herders and goats. Horses and burros tied up. But no more stands selling wild birds, owls, or snake venom. Sad to see that tradition gone. I used to stop just to talk to the people because they are living off the land in the desert. Quite a remarkable experience.

The highways were full of men with families and all their worldly possessions returning to Mexico now that the picking season is over in the USA. All were rushing to be home in time for Dia de los Muertos.

So, I'm home. Ready to experience Day of the Dead with the altars and the panteon. I noticed yesterday while in the jardin that at least 99% of the tourists are Mexican Nationals. The town is full.

It is quirky to be immersed in the culture of the USA and feel at home and then to return here and feel at home also. Life is good!

1 comment:

Al Hernandez said...

Enjoyed your post. I am glad to hear that you are back safe and in San Miguel.There is something very special about that place.