Thursday, November 03, 2011

Tales of the Texas Trip

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


So many things and so little time! I not only drove to the Houston area. Once I was there I was ALL over the place.

For those who have never been to the Houston area, the sprawl of it can be daunting. Having lived there previously for thirty-four years, I'm kinda used to it. So from Kingwood, where my daughter lives, to Galveston is close to 75 miles or more. On the right day, in the right traffic, one can make it in a little over an hour. On a bad day, forget it. I WAS up and down that freeway many times. I should have kept track of the miles while I was up there but heck, I didn't have time.

There were baby kittens to be born my first day there! There were middle school football games to go to! Add to that seeing bridges built on land in Galveston and the Gulf - always the Gulf along with the prolific sea gulls and pelicans.
Riding the free ferry to see the dolphins, the tankers waiting to enter the port and just the fun of it is also a "must do".


Many meals - waaaaay too many meals with family and friends. Then there was Family Time - shopping, eating out, camping and the best part, just hanging out with the kids. Got to see ALL the Texas grandkids - that would be five and of course, Mati and Sebastian are here in San Miguel. Blessings! The camping experience with everyone was quite an adventure - one that I don't need to repeat at this time in my life - unless I go for the day. The night treks to the bathroom, in the dark, is not my idea of an "adventure". However, cooking breakfast on a camp stove again was fun. And, hanging out with everyone was stupendous.

Lots more to share but that will be in the next post.

Leaving Texas is ALWAYS sad! To leave friends, family and the Gulf! Boo hoo.
Posted by Picasa

9 comments:

Jonna said...

Very cute grands you've got!

My question... how the heck are they going to get that bridge to the water?

Irene said...

What is the last picture? It looks like a stop light to keep you from driving into the gulf.

Babs said...

Jonna - I presume they use cranes to put it on a barge to put it on the pilings. BUT in the interest of correctness, I'll check with the great man who knows all, and get back to you.
Irene - The last photo is me coming up to the road along the seawall of Galveston getting ready to drive along it on my way off the island to Laredo and back to Mexico.......

maria luz said...

I know that intersection in Galveston! I would have done the very same thing! Thanks for the pics!

maria luz

Michael Dickson said...

You're making me homesick.

Babs said...

Felipe, it was REALLY hard to leave this time......and to be honest, I looked at some beach houses in Galveston as an alternative to going to Melaque in January. Texas in Jan and Feb are delightful - especially at the beach, in my opinion anyway.
I might do that.........

picklesandroses.blogspot.com said...

It was great to see you again...wish we would have had more time. Seems like there is never enough, doesn't it?

picklesandroses.blogspot.com said...

OMG...hard to believe Julie's bambinos have gotten so big...gorgeous girls!

Babs said...

There NEVER is enough time.......only when you come down here and spend a couple of weeks!

Can you believe those girls are so grown up, but Emma is only 11 and looks 18. Ditto with Hannah, she'll be 14 later this month but looks 18. Did you notice I'm the shortest of the bunch? Even Christopher is taller then me! Amazing.