Monday, February 16, 2009

"Dish"ing for Music

Well, without the cd's that I lost - which I also played on my cd player, I've turned to Dish Network. Don't get me wrong - I DO have other CD's - Cleo Laine, Earl Klugh, Ottmar Leibert and bunches of others BUT, anyway, I decided to see what is on Dish.

There is, in my opinion, a good blues station and a good one for classical music. Imagine my surprise when I found something new - well new to me. Texas Honky Tonk Music @ Willie's Place. Guess you can take the girl out of Texas but not the Texas honky tonk out of the girl.....as "they" say.

So, for the last couple of days I've been sunbathing, reading and listening to Texas Honky Tonk. Hey, this is my way of attempting to rest and get well, ,plus work on that tan I didn't get at the beach. I have to tell you what finally got to me, besides the good ole music, was the titles of so many of these songs.

How about "Here I am in Dallas.........Where the Hell are You?" or "Sliding Off Silk Sheets" by Johnny Paycheck, just to name a couple. I mean I could go on and on. What I love about these songs is the lack of pretention and the humor or pathos whatever is called for. These kinds of things make me miss Texas - the simplicity of the Texas Hill Country where the best honky tonks are located.

So, don't be upset for me and the loss of my favorite cd's - I've moved on to other things.......Life is a new adventure EVERY day.

9 comments:

Calypso said...

Say what you will about Country - there are two things you can count on - interesting lyrics and song titles and that they KNOW how to party.

I guess that's three -

Do you listen to any Jerry Jeff Walker, Amiga?

Steve Cotton said...

Glad to hear that you are resting up. I decided to follow my own advice. After fighting "something" for a week, I am just resting. And listening to music.

Islagringo said...

What a fantastic attitude you have. Life goes on.

Anonymous said...

Hello from a good ole girl from Houston, TX. and you are right about one thing Barbara, "you can take a girl out of Texas but never take Texas out of the girl"!!!.

Barbara, glad to hear that you are Sunbathing, resting and trying to get well, I am sure in no time you will be up and running cirlcles around San Miguel. I too love good ole Contry music although I am Hispanic and know and love Mexico but was born and raised in Houston, the other night I went to my first country wedding and danced the two step with a little bit of Salsa combined. I had the best time dancing from Willie Nelson to George Straight...not bad for a girl from Texas with Mexican heritage. Thanks for such a great blog, it makes me feel as if I were visiting again in San Miguel. Take good care of yourself....a friend in Texas...pm

Babs said...

Of course I listen to Jerry Jeff Walker and have seen him in concert also. Steve SO glad you're resting and listening to music. TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF.
Well Wayne, it's all just "stuff"! Anonymous, I KNOW who you are and I'm glad you're getting out and dancing - good for you! I AM feeling better and hope to be "running circles" soon.

GlorV1 said...

dizzler.com is a place for free music. I just wanted to say I'm sorry about your loss and how dare then steal your personal belongings. That happened to me once and you feel violated. Sorry again and take care.

picklesandroses.blogspot.com said...

Yep, Honky tonk is on my car radio...love all those old country songs and I'm gonna be a Jerry Jeff Walker groupie when I grow up.

Calypso said...

I’m just saying Amiga – Circa 1970 I was at Merle and Bonnie Owen’s casa in Bakersfield, CA. First I have to say that his house had these pillars and I believe the structure was modeled after Tara from Gone with the Wind.

Now mind you I was only hired help to record Merle playing fiddle with Bob Wills and the Texas Playboys – Merle and Bonnie served drinks on flat cars of Merle’s toy train that ran on track laid out throughout the house – I thought that was weird. True story.

Bob Wills was in a wheel chair and a charming old fellow. Merle, who I was quite familiar with from having worked at the Tower (Capitol Records) was/is very short, lacks charm and never met a woman that wasn’t worth cheating on – oh those cowboys!

I would write about this because working with Bob Wills and Haggard at this point was/is quite historical – but Haggard would probably sue me if I told what I know – or perhaps not care ;-)

Mess with, but NEVER marry a cowboy!

Babs said...

GREAT story Calypso - I don't even remember Merle being short! I love the last line of your comment and I subscribe to your wisdom!