Thursday, October 16, 2008

It's all about the Supreme Court!

Ok, I have wanted not to get into the political fray but last night's debate set my teeth on edge. During Gore's presidential bid, I had a button that said, "It's all about the Supreme Court" and it's more true today.

I worked forty years, suffered discrimination in pay and sexual discrimation when I worked for other people - several times over those years. I have quietly worked to make sure that my daughters and granddaughters NEVER experienced those things. As you know, if you read my blog, my family is the most important thing in my life.

I was blessed with this family. I never had to consider an abortion. I would hate to think that any of my family would ever have to consider that scenario. BUT, if that were to happen, I don't want anyone to have to go through what a friend of mine did, who did have to have an abortion before it was legal. It is a horrific story.

So, Roe vs Wade CANNOT be overturned. McCain is for overturning it and if elected he will probably have the opportunity to replace two Supreme Court Justices. PLEASE see that that doesn't happen! PLEASE!

10 comments:

Nancy said...

You're so right. We need to move the US into the future and not regress to the dark ages.

Every expat needs to make sure they get their vote in on time, a little extra effort but essential.

Christine said...

Well,if the polls can be believed we are in good shape to see Obama elected. I am just begining to allow myself to feel excited.

picklesandroses.blogspot.com said...

Amen, sister. We cannot let Roe vs Wade be challenged and who knows what else the far right could dream us to send us back into the dark ages. GET OUT AND VOTE!

Islagringo said...

I got your back!

Steve Cotton said...

Ah, Babs. When we discuss a sane drug policy, we can put this one on the list. The envelope will know the true meaning of elasticity.

Calypso said...

Government needs to butt out of people's personal lives. You know they have gone too far when they start legislating morality.

I hate abortion.

Babs said...

SO glad to see rational comments!
However, Steve I don't understand your comment and Calypso, I too hate the idea of abortion but here is a personal story of why it still needs to be available.
I have twin grandchildren who are special needs. We know NOW that they have a genetic disorder called Fragile X syndrome which means they were born without the X chromosome. There IS genetic testing available now to prevent births of children with many genetic disorders such as neurofibromatosis and Fragile X. I don't pretend to know how I would respond to that situation but I do think everyone should have the personal choice as it relates to their beliefs and circumstances.

Calypso said...

Babs you will get no argument from me - I wrote:

Government needs to butt out of people's personal lives.

And I believe it. I didn't understand Steve's pithy remarks either???

Anonymous said...

Babs,
OK, here’s my very personal response. 35 years ago I was a 19 year old girl who got pregnant. I made an appointment to go to Planned Parenthood to schedule an abortion. I was outside the door of the PP office when I made the decision not to go through with the appointment. Like you my family especially my beautiful 35 year old daughter is the most important thing to me.
The key words in the paragraph are “I made the decision”. It should be a woman’s decision to have an abortion or not. Not the governments. This is something I feel very passionate about.

Babs said...

Jackie - THANK YOU for sharing your personal experience. It took a lotta guts and look, you have had 35 wonderful years of love and joy and happiness. You are SO right it's your decision and no one elses.........