Tuesday, July 08, 2008

San Miguel de Allende - UNESCO World Heritage Site

Break out the champagne, or tequila. San Miguel de Allende was named a UNESCO World Heritage Site yesterday. It was announced last evening in the jardine and fireworks filled the sky and church bells pealed all over town for quite a while! Big news! Wonderful news! Atotonilco was named also. It is about twelve miles from here and is a wonder to behold. All in all ten new sites were added in Mexico bringing the total to 24 in the country. My NEW goal is to see all of them - I've seen quite a few already but more to go..........Guanajuato is a World Heritage Site as well as Queretaro and they are all in close proximity to San Miguel.
The process for selection has been in the works for two years and so the victory is all the sweeter for all the hard work dedicated to this goal by many, many in this village.
For additional information go to www.whc.unesco.org/en/news/451 Oh and the Butterfly Sanctuaries were all named too..........thank goodness. I believe they are one of the great wonders of the world...............
I've always been thrilled to say I live in San Miguel - now I'm even prouder!

No comments: