Thursday, June 26, 2008

Fruit Frenzy

I pulled myself out of my lethargic slump the other day to DRIVE to Mega (one of the few times I drive in San Miguel) and walked into the store to a "fruit frenzy".
Mega is a large chain in Mexico and we got ours a year or two ago. I hardly go there unless I need something strange - this time, mouse traps! So, I walk in and people are commandeering two and three shoping carts in the produce department. So, I timidly took my one basket and headed over to see what all the fuss was about.
Watermelons (sandias) .50 pesos per kilo, same for canteloupe and white onions were less as were limes! Obvioiusly they had gotten a LARGE shipment from the growers in the area and people were stocking up, and I do mean stocking up. Whole baskets of canteloupes, another of watermelons and little teeny weeny kids carrying whatever their arms would hold for their parents! It WAS a sight. So, one never to be shy, I bought three canteloupes, one watermelon a few onions and a whole bag of limes. Total cost - you're NOT going to believe this - less then $2.00US! But I knew that I couldn't consume or save any more food then that! I've been making smoothies, licaudos, and wonder - could you make a canteloupe pie?
As I drove home, I saw families walking on the shoulder with two or three teen weeny kids walking behind their parents proudly carrying their canteloupes and watermelons.........what a sight and experience! Wish you could have been there...........

7 comments:

Steve Cotton said...

Ah, Babs, we were there. You just took us there with your tale. Thanks.

I lived in the San Fernando Valley in the summer of1973 when the field workers went on strike just as the watermelons were ripe for harvesting. The farmers were almost giving their produce away. We would buy several and eat the heart. You brought back a portion of that hedonistic time.

Theresa in Mèrida said...

You can chop and freeze onions. We like to puree fruit and freeze it for later to use in licuados, then we don't need any ice. Wow what incredible bargains, the more I read other people's blogs the more expensive food in Merida seems in comparison.
regards,
Theresa

Islaholic Trixie said...

My mouth is watering!!

jennifer rose said...

You can ask Billie about how I wiped out and took a flying leap at the onion aisle when Morelia's Mega had the same sale -- and what happened afterward. I can laugh about it now.

Babs said...

Well Steve YOUR memory prompted one for me! My husband's family raised watermelons in Miss. and one summer we were over there and went out in the field, sat on the ground and "thumped" watermelons, broke them open and sat and ate them in the field! My kids STILL talk about that! Gosh, I wonder what else is stored in this ole brain........
Gosh Theresa, I didn't know you can freeze onions and melons! Learn something new everyday......
Oh Jennifer, I'm going to see Billie tomorrow - I'll ask her to tell me the story! And Trixie, I've now added you to my "favorites"....THANKS all for writing!

Theresa in Mèrida said...

Babs, the onions work great but you need to chop or slice them before freezing them. That is where a food processor comes in handy. The melons aren't any good if you thaw them but are oh so yummy as licuados or popsicles!
regards,
Theresa

picklesandroses.blogspot.com said...

Holy moly! Unbelievable! What a deal and on some of my favorite food. I didn't know one could freeze cantaloupe after pureeing it. What a great idea! Too bad you didn't take pictures of the melee'.