Sunday, February 24, 2008

The Wall is Finished

Here it is as they put the last stone in! I ran out with my camera when I saw this happening from my dining room window. The men looked so surprised to see me and smiled when I asked if I could take a photo of them finishing the wall. You'll notice that none are looking at the camera. It's that old adage that the camera steals their soul. Seldom, unless it is a child or a westernized Mexican, do I get a direct shot. The men WERE pleased that I praised the beauty and length of "their" handiwork. If you enlarge the photo by clicking on it you can see a pipe running at the top of the photo. It is a water pipe that used to send water to the factory that made "manta" which is a natural color cotton. It was put in in the 1920's I've been told. Unfortunately the manta factory closed last year and so I guess the water pipe is no longer used. I wonder how long it took them to make all the piers to install that water pipe that long ago!

2 comments:

Steve Cotton said...

Babs -- You appear to be getting the univeral male response to a camera: nonchalant attention. Note the cheesy grins; the male pose of confidence. A dead give away. As a master of nonchalance, I know it when I see it.

Thanks for the update.

Babs said...

Steve - I never even thought of that.........or knew that!
Barb