Friday, February 15, 2008

Musings for a Friday

Got myself up at 7AM this morning because the "basura truck" MIGHT come today! It did, but not early and long after I left at 10AM......oh well. So I left and had Josefina the maid carry my bag of basura over to the school and put it with their stuff that way I didn't have to wait around for the truck! (I'm getting smart!)
I had a "list" of stuff to do, such as, (1)stop at the oilcloth store and get 3 meters of pink and white gingham oilcloth for shelf paper for Baby Matilda's shelves in the nursery - store was not open at 10:15.......oh well. (2) Stop at farmacia for prescription, yeah accomplished;(3) buy two birthday cards, accomplished;(4) buy "necessities" at Bonanza, GREAT grocery store, accomplished ; (5)pick up mail, oops saw Dorothy and Yvette having breakfast - stopped to visit, picked up mail, accomplished;(6) get Atencion, our local newspaper and the Mexican newspaper, accomplished. Ok, that may not sound like a lot but it IS a lot of walking......and it all takes time - like two hours worth at 6400 ft elevation. Hmm, I wonder if you burn more calories because of the exertion of the elevation? Interesting thought! We have a saying that you're not supposed to do more then three things a day in San MIguel and one is to get up......a joke, for sure.
I did have a delicious lunch with friends at Oliver's a tiny new restaurant with four tables that serves the best hamburgers I've had in San Miguel - either that or I had worked up an appetite with all the walking I had done...............While eating lunch a funeral procession came by with about 100 people walking with a group of mariachis, with a truck loaded with flowers bringing up the rear. They were walking to the panteon (cemetary). Since it was mid-day and the sun can be very intense, most of the people were walking under umbrellas. That, plus the mariachi music, reminded me of the funerals in New Orleans..............
Those are my Friday memories!

3 comments:

Cynthia said...

Great post! I enjoyed it and I remember the saying and make sure I don't try to do too much in one day.

Where is Oliver's restaurant? I love good hamburgers.

Billie Mercer said...

Barbara, doesn't it feel good to be out doing errands without a car? And lunch with friends. Days like you had just put me in such a good mood and so Happy to be in SMA.

Babs said...

Hi Cynthia and Billie - Oliver's is directly across from LaCava on Zacateros. Oh, and they have milk shakes!
Yes Billie I DO love being able to walk everywhere...........even when my arms are loaded down!