Monday, February 25, 2008

Audubon Gala - A "la di da" Event

For so many years when I had my business, I HAD to dress up for so many social events that I HATE doing that now, but every now and then something comes up and I DO. Each year, I DO
go to the Audubon Society of San Miguel Brunch. I figure, "How much would you have to get dressed up for a brunch?"..........Well this year it was held at the Hyder House and it is spectacular. All of these photos were taken on the grounds of the property. The house, which now encompasses 7 houses is a total of 13,000 sq. ft of living space! Spectacular is not a strong enough word. BUT it is not pretentious, more like quirky spectacular. These two photos are of Las Monjas church and a cupola that is on the property and Las Monjas
church. The grounds, as you can see, are as spectacular as the house size.
If you're interested in reading about the house you can go to www.iht.com/articles/2007/05/10properties/REhyder.php . I enjoyed seeing it, the style show that Barbara Porter put on with local exotic models and the camaraderie of the people. I visited with a lovely couple who have lived all over the world. She, a regional director for USAID, a country director for the Peace Corp and on and on; he, a retired minister. HIS description of his sermons, a cross between Lenny Bruce and Robin Williams.........would love to have been there! Delightful couple.

There was not a bad view anywhere on the grounds. The food was brunch food (what can I say) but it was very, very well planned by all volunteers. Oh, and Bobby Kaplan and his group played jazz and blues while sitting next to the pool.
Not a bad way to spend a Sunday afternoon, eh?



No comments: