Monday, January 07, 2008

Amanda

Life can change with a phone call........usually, at least in my case, not for the better. I received a call from Amanda's husband Patrick yesterday that they had been in a near-fatal car accident on Thursday. He, Amanda and two granddaughters had been out for the girl's annual Christmas treat of dinner and a play (they are around 10, I think). A car hit them going nearly 100mph and the impact threw Amanda and little Bailey out of the car. Both have been in ICU since then.
I'm devastated.
Amanda, Patrick and I have been friends for almost 30 years. It's a friendship that has been through EVERYTHING - as good friendships are, happy and sad times. We have always been there for each other. I couldn't begin to tell you all the things that she and Patrick did for me and my family in the 5 1/2 year battle with Jennifer's leukemia and Amanda took over and handled everything when Jennifer passed on. What a dear, dear friend.
I need to go to Texas to be there! She is having serious surgery today on her vertebrae and I'm not there but I will be before the week's end. So, if you don't hear from me for a while, that will be the reason.
"Each friend represents a world in us. A world
possibly not born until they arrive and it is only by
this meeting that a new world is born"
Anais Nin

1 comment:

picklesandroses.blogspot.com said...

SHIT! I can't believe this. Oh no! Where were they? What hospital are they in now? And the other grandaughter? Is she okay? You know you are welcome to stay here if we are the most convenient. Would love to have you and at least help out that way if none other. Our prayers are with Amanda and Bailey for the best possible outcome.