Sunday, September 23, 2018

The "Last Gasp" on the Hill

It occurred to me that since I have no idea when the satellite is turned off and my computer is disconnected, how long it will be before I'm able to communicate with the world again.  Better
get a post off before that occurs.

So here it is.  The twenty one days of appointments to sell furniture is over.  The HUGE sale yesterday was very successful and the door to the guest house is closed and locked until after the move on Tuesday.  Then I'll address the left over art, linens, books and a few more little items.
I'll get a charity over here to pick it all up by the weekend or whatever.

Then it will be a "forward looking" operation.

Someone will enjoy the fruits of my labors in my gardening endeavors.  It was fun while it lasted.


There were so many people at the sale yesterday and as always, some memorable moments.  The grown children who were age 7,6,5,4,3,2 and 1 when I moved in came to see me.  Their Mom was at work but they wanted to buy furniture and other assorted items.  They did.  Then we sat and talked about all the kites I used to bring them from Texas so they did not have to use garbage bags to make kites.  I was thrilled that they remembered.  The oldest, now 25, remembered all the little toys that I used to bring back and then we would sit on the curb and play.  Must admit, I got choked up while talking to them.  The kids lost their dad to cancer about five years ago. One of the finest families that I have ever had the privilege to know.  I'll miss them.

So many stories, so little time.

See you on down the road, or to be more exact, on the other side of San Miguel!


11 comments:

Retired Teacher said...

Glad to hear that the sale was successful. I guess the most difficult part of the move is over. Now it's just a matter of heading down the hill, and enjoying your new house and the new phase of your life. Hope all goes smoothly!

Al said...

I'm sure you'll be happy in your new place and Ron and Fred will come and help you get set up. Life in is a never-ending series of changes, usually four the better. Let us know when you're ready to receive visitors. Al and Stew

Babs said...

Bill, hopefully the most difficult part will be over tomorrow. Thanks for your well wishes. I hope it goes smoothly too. I've hired a good mover, just so it will.

Al, I have not seen hide nor hair of R and F. Hopefully I will now that I will be closer. I will definitely let you know when I'm "ready to receive visitors"!

Barbara Lane said...

I can imagine what you've been going through, both emotionally and physically. When leaving a place for the last time I always walk through, pausing in the doorway of each room, thanking it, blessing it, and sometimes have a last cry. When I walk out I don't look back, rather look forward and embrace the new. Writing new chapters is exciting, that we have the opportunity is thrilling. Enjoy each moment - soon the hard work of it will be behind you and you'll be ensconced in another beautiful casa that will shine with your touch.

Babs said...

Thanks Barbara - Indeed

Contessa said...

Good luck with the move and new set up.

Peter Kouwenhoven said...

Well, here's hoping it will all go smoothly. Casa Tranquilo gave you many years of happiness and fond memories, now the time has come to make some new ones...

Babs said...

Thanks Condessa and Peter.

I'm ready for this to be OVER! ha.

R. P. said...

Onward and Upward! Saludos, Robert & Colleen

R. P. said...

Love that Jacaranda! Hope to see you when you are settled in.

Croft said...

Things always change! We are happy your move is going well and will be interested to see you settle into the new placwe. Looking forward to photos!