Monday, October 26, 2015

Surprise! New things on Babsblog

As you read this post today, look over to the right and notice that there is a Search box.  I'm sorry this has not always been on the blog.  It's a great gadget to allow readers, and myself, to put in a subject that one is
interested in and check out all the posts on that subject.

The blog post "Driving to Mexico and San Miguel de Allende" has been read every single day, almost, since it was written in 2013.  Now it will be easier for people to find that kind of information.

A reader wrote to me recently and said they had started reading starting all the way back in 2006 just to read all the articles on places in Mexico.  Now they can use the search box!

I'm so happy to have this for all of you.

Another BIG thing that is a new thing on the blog are advertisers!  I've talked about it for about one and a half years.  I've agonized as to whether it would change the integrity and freedom of the blog.  I did not want that to happen, at all.  If you scroll down past the blog roll, there are the first two advertisers!  No, they aren't going to flash or leap into the text or ask you to buy something right then and there, like so many ads on the internet do today.   Rather, they are there for you if you need those services.  Only people I know and respect their business ethics will be advertising.  I promise.

After being chastised by many (I'm not kidding) for not monetizing the blog, I have caved and am doing so.
The money the advertisers will be paying will certainly help me to live.  Social security, even here in Mexico, does not leave much for frills.

Several people have expressed an interest in advertising on the blog.  Let's hope this comes to fruition.

It is going to be limited to 10 advertisers.  No duplication per category.  In other words, if one is a realtor or a shuttle company, no others in that field will be able to advertise.  In addition to the ad, three feature articles a year will be written about the advertiser.  Advertisers are asked to commit for twelve months and provide the ad copy as well as details about the business to assist in writing the feature articles.  The cost?  $100USD per month.  With over 30,000 readers in a month, it can be a great tool to increase your business or get your message out there.  If you're interested, please email me at babsofsanmiguel@yahoo.com

I know change is good, but if you have thoughts or opinions on this, please don't hesitate to let me know.

Thanks to all of you loyal readers.  You are much appreciated for enhancing my life over these last nine years!

19 comments:

Croft said...

I tried clicking on the Caldwell Banker ad and it does not work. You won't make any money that way :) Yes, people have wondered why I don't do this as well but I remember the problems Tioga George had when they accused him of clicking on his own ads (he said he never did) and having them put ads he did not agree with (it was during the election and they were putting Romney ads on). He could not gain any control so he dropped out of the Adsense program. I suspect yours is something different.

La Tejedora said...

BRAVA, Barbara. I approve and hope this works well for you. xoxoxo Nora

Babs said...

Croft, only Bajiogo has a link. Coldwell Banker with John, you need to input the email address. I'll talk to him about adding a link.

No, I'm not doing this through any program. I'm just contacting people personally.
And, I have set the parameters and will collect the payment personally. I have complete control. The only way I would do it.

Babs said...

Nora, thanks for your positive response!

Anonymous said...

Barbara: Are you sure you've done enough due diligence on your Coldwell Banker guy? Ya know, you just can't be too careful these days.

Saludos,

Kim G
Boston, MA
Where snappy slogans are just a click away!

Joan said...

Your two new ads are the best!

Babs said...

Thanks Joan - Sweet of you to take time to comment.

Kim, well, I've only known the guy 51 years, so I think I can vouch for his integrity and character.........Thanks.

jennifer rose said...

The ads are too far down. After I've read the current blog post, they still do not show up, and most readers aren't inclined to keep scrolling to read old stuff. Move the ads up the page, perhaps ahead of the archives.

Rick said...

Load 'em up - who cares.
You have provided us with a wealth of information and entertainment so I am happy to browse the ads.

You deserve all you can get.

Rick

Babs said...

Jennifer, my son said the same thing, but I didn't want them to distract from the posts. Thanks for your thoughts.


And, Rick, you are so kind and thoughtful. I appreciate, always, your comments.

Unknown said...

It's pretty unobtrusive in the location below the blog roll, so no problem!

Babs said...

Unknown, I think it will be moved up behind blogroll. We'll see........

Thanks for your comment.

Anonymous said...

I'm going to second Jennifer's comment on the ad placement. If they're out of sight without scrolling down, they probably will go unnoticed by many.

Saludos,

Kim G
Boston, MA
Where we believe that more and more people are using ad-blocking software.

Babs said...

Yes, Kim, my son wanted it there too but I said no because I don't want the ads to
be the primary focus. We'll try moving it around and see what is best. Since there ads are not part of any ad programs, I don't know about ad-blocking software, nor am I going to give it a second thought.

Actually, I never look at ads and get so mad when I'm reading some article and then an ad jumps in the middle of it. IF I could get rid of all ads, I'd be ecstatic, both on the internet and TV!

Thanks for giving me feedback.

marilyn said...

I think it's great! You give so much of your time to entertain & inform us readers, you deserve this.

And just to add my two pesos - I agree the ads should be where they are seen easily. I was curious this first time to see who your advertisers are, but, probably will forget to look again. If we want to search for a specific blog, we can do that, or if we just want to browse we can also do that. Those are intentional acts - coming across an ad is more chance - to me.

I don't have a problem with ads that sit quietly to the side & don't jump into what I'm reading.

You have a solid reputation and if there's an ad on your blog we'll feel it is an endorsement from you.

I was going to write just one or two sentences.....didn't know I had so much to say.

gracias, Lena James



Babs said...

Thanks Lena and I so appreciate your taking time to express your views. I agree, I hate the ads that jump in the middle of the copy I'm reading. You can rest assured that any ads on this blog would be an endorsement from me.

Keep reading. It's people like you who "make my day"

Marilyn Krichman said...

I saw the add when I was reading the comments, so they were right alongside. When you think your blog isn't going to generate a lot of comments, perhaps you could focus on making sure your blog is long enough - adding photos is always a great way to lengthen the page - so that your blog will always stretch down to where the ads start. Just a thought!

Babs said...

Thanks Marilyn for taking time to make a comment. It will be adjusted this weekend when my computer person, son John, can come and make the adjustments to higher up.

So appreciate your loyalty and continued reading of the posts.

Babs said...

Selina McNabb - Your comment did not come through onto the blog but I got it as an email.......weird.

Anyway, I'll be here at the beginning of your stay but will be unavailable from the 23rd on as I'll be leaving for the beach and celebrating Christmas with family here.

My email address is babsofsanmiguel@yahoo.com Contact me when you get in town and we'll connect.

Thanks for posting. Look forward to meeting you.