Monday, March 08, 2010

An "intriguing" Time

This time of attempting to develop a relationship has been very interesting.

As many of you know, I was widowed thirty-three years ago. Now, that, of course, does NOT mean that there haven't been men in my life. But, it has been a number of years since I have been in a full-time situation.

Things I've learned - some good, some surprising, some not so good and some irritating as "all get out", as we say in Texas.

First, the good. It is so much fun to share funny stories, funny experiences and just laugh with someone again. I've enjoyed that so much.

It is extremely enjoyable to sit and talk about intellectual things - current events, philosophy, books. A myriad of things. To me it is always interesting to hear other people's perspective, whether I agree or not.

Of course, it goes without saying, that the little kindesses - a cup of coffee brought to you or my doing that for him or whatever. That is always good.

The surprising are odd things. Like thinking someone understands what you just said or did, but then realizing that you're coming from different backgrounds. Things can definitely be misinterpreted without intending to do so.

Surprising can be a good and fun thing too.........and has been. I like not knowing what to expect, most of the time.

The not so good have been disagreements about things that really weren't important enough to disagree about. I'm usually bewildered about why things get to that stage.

The irritating, of course, are when my way isn't the right way. I say that tongue in cheek. Someone said last week, "If he would just understand that I'm always right and do it my way, it would be so much easier". I broke up laughing.

I realize that being a strong woman is not always the best thing. So, I'm trying very hard to enjoy all the different experiences and not get irritated very often.

It's never too late to learn and change - I'm discovering!

4 comments:

picklesandroses.blogspot.com said...

Wow! Welcome to the newer and even more wonderful Babs. It's never too late to teach an old dog new tricks...not that you are an old dog, but you know what I mean. A more flexible and interesting woman you are becoming. It has to be hard after so many years of being single...I'm really so happy that you have found someone that appreciates ALL of you and you the same of him. What a happy thing!

Steve Cotton said...

But there is something to be said for infexible single living.

Calypso said...

Life is an experiment.

Babs said...

Well, Kay, don't get carried away, ha. I'm not sure I'm "more wonderful".....Yes, Steve, I agree.

Calypso It SURE is!