Sunday, February 21, 2010

Mexico Follows Me Wherever I Go !

Mexico is always in my heart and mind, wherever I go! There are things that I see that make me want to be home and there are situations I see that make me compare them to what I see at home in San Miguel.

Tonight, imagine my surprise, when I went to a birthday party, in the not so large town of Martinsburg, West Va. An Italian restaurant. The meal was good. The service was excellent. There were 14 of us and it all went off without a hitch.

After the gift giving had ended and the framed Mexican bark painting that we had given to the birthday girl was sitting on the table, the surprise happened. The waiter asked where the gift had come from.

He then walked over to me and said that his dad, the owner of the restaurant, was from Celaya. He, the son, was so thrilled to meet someone from near his family's home. So, as we left, I met the owner. He and his wife, who is Italian from Tuscany, have been in the USA for 30 years. But, he said, home is Mexico! We smiled at each other knowingly.

We chatted for quite a while and I felt my heart swelling with our connection and the fact that he was so happy to talk with me. I totally understood.

Even though he has been in the USA for so long, his gentility and manners were still intact. The conversation ended with him wishing me safe travels.

VIVA MEXICO!

6 comments:

picklesandroses.blogspot.com said...

It follows us everywhere. This weekend I spent the day in a group of writers...one of which lived in SM for two years and had traveled all over Mexico. He is a travel writer, loved SM and is now on his way to India.

Babs said...

Yes it does Kay. I know it especially does for you and your love for the vibrancy of this country. Who is the travel writer? Interesting.

Osage Pony said...

B Hi Babs,
Just stumbled onto your blog as I've only begun blogging. You came up when I hit the random "next blog" button. I have questions about you, life in Mexico, "farming" around the tropics, and more. Shall I simply blurt here, use email, or read your entries before asking you more question?
Thanks!
PK in MO USA B

Babs said...

Well, Osage Pony, if you have enough time to read the blogs, you'll know more about me then most of my family, ha! And, about my ilfe in Mexico not to mention my travels - mostly in Mexico and Guatemala in the last few years.
Then, if you have questions, just post them and I'll try to answer.
Where are you in Missouri?

Propoquerian said...

I lived in Sweden for a while when I was little and I love those moments of understanding with Swedes I meet in the US--they look at your eyes and know those eyes have seen the world they've seen too. Take a look at my blog if you get the chance, maybe you can give a young gal in her 20's some tips!
http://twistedtemper.blogspot.com/

Babs said...

Hi Twisted Temper - I like your blog and your usage of "new" words!
Very clever. I've added it to my favorites as I'm sure many others will as well.
Stay in touch!