Friday, September 11, 2009

Welcoming Billie and Ned Home to San Miguel

It was a lovely evening last night, as we all welcomed Billie and Ned back home to San Miguel. You know Billie, http://www.billiemercer.blogspot.com/ . They are my friends and she is responsible for my being a "blogger", among many other things.

They headed to Houston a while back thinking they would be there for a week or so. They ended up being there for almost four months while Ned went through chemo and radiation. He's doing GREAT.

There must have been close to 100 people last night. All happy to see this popular, kind and funny couple. You could "feel the love" as they say. The event was held at the Sunset Bar on top of Casa Linda. Oh, the views of the city and the hillsides were awesome. I did peek when I wasn't busy "meeting and greeting".

Friendships are interesting, aren't they? Billie and I don't physically see each other often, but we talk on the phone or email. I always know she's there if I need her and hopefully she knows I'm there for her too. I think she does. She is one of those people who you build memories with that are meaningful. A real treasure.

And Ned, in his calm and unpretentious way is the epitome of goodness. Always ready with a deep laugh or a hug or just a "Hi".

Gosh, I'm SO glad they are back home in San Miguel.

7 comments:

Michael Dickson said...

And where is the usual photo of the couple? Drat! Billie sidesteps again.

Nice write-up. As usual, you done good.

picklesandroses.blogspot.com said...

I know you are glad they are back...another good reason for a party.

Babs said...

Yup Billie is the proverbial "mirage". I forgot to get photos. I have some somewhere of their wedding anniversary a year or two ago, but, who knows where those are. Gracias for the compliment. Coming from you, Felipe, that's like a gold star on my forehead!
Kay, you know I don't need a "reason" for a party. Every days a party when you wake up, right?

Michael Dickson said...

Ms. Babs, you underestimate yourself. Why, you left a comment on Gangs of SMA earlier that almost had me rolling on the tile floor.

You are driving me crazy (which is a short trip).

Babs said...

Felipe - Glad I could add a "laugh out loud" moment to your day! You add so many great moments to my life with your writing!

Islagringo said...

I knew even before I met this wonderful couple in Merida that I was going to like them. I was ready for Billie, not so much Ned. I was totally unprepared for what a true Southern gentleman he is. I'm glad to hear that they are back home, safe and sound, where they belong.

Babs said...

Yes Wayne, Ned is a perfect, kind Southern gentleman. They are just a GREAT couple. We, Billie and I, so hope ya'll come over, either to here or to Morelia for our get together.......